Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Indexable Inserts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Indexable Inserts

Wondering if there is any place selling them cheaper than $4.00 each. I use 1/4" inserts and seem to go through them pretty fast.

I would like to buy a package of them instead of just a few at a time. Can't get them on ebay for that much cheaper either. It is almost worth it to just throw away the holders and buy a brand new set every time

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

HC, I was going through the cheap import TCMT 2151 inserts pretty fast so I tried sandvik TCMT 2152 (slightly larger radius on the tip) inserts and was surprised that they lasted much longer. They're not cheaper though, but in the long run it works out so. Evilbay has the cheap import bits as low as $1.40 each if you buy 100 of them. I may go that route when I break/wear out whats left of the 20 sandvik bits I got for $45 which I think was a steal.

Feedback Score

My experience has been that asian inserts suck !!! US-made inserts are first class but spendy. There are exceptions...

I am not above scrounging through heaps of used inserts at the salvage yards. Once years ago I found a mountain of NIB amorphous-composite inserts at a local salvage yard. I bought only one box assuming that they were more than my wallet could handle. The dealer put them on a scale and sold them for scrap weight !!!! Such a deal !!! When I got home late that day I checked my catalog library and about had a coronary !! I planned to swing by the bank in the morning for some real cash to buy that pile of NIB ceramic inserts - all of them.

Of course they were all gone when I reached the salvage yard. I guess that the original retail on that huge pile was over $ 1 million.

VD

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

pookies, what kind do you want I got some chinese peoples I can call up at NYC ,

卡拉希尼可夫突擊步槍

Feedback Score

I got a whole pile of them from ebay. They use them in CNCs for a set time and then throw them out, usually the edges are fine when they do, so you get a bunch of slightly used ones for real cheap. Oh, and get some negative rake ones too for roughing parts out if your lathe has enough motor. They're a lot stronger but take a lot more force to cut, so I'd only use them on bigger stuff.

Made some tool holders in the mill too, but you should buy them factory made so you know what you're getting. Mine were done by eye in the mill and the angles are probably a bit funky, but they sure work nice for the $20 invested with 200 inserts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bluejack, I have 1/4" tool holders.

Dang 486, $20 for 200 sounds like a dream! $20 for 4 truly sucks! I guess I'll just have to shop harder

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Bluejack, I have 1/4" tool holders.

Dang 486, $20 for 200 sounds like a dream! $20 for 4 truly sucks! I guess I'll just have to shop harder
    Look for the bigger inserts on ebay. the bigger ones ain't as desirable for the little machines so then they go cheap.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What exactly should I be shopping for? Searching for "carbide insert" "carbide insert used" "indexable insert" etc. and I'm getting lots of tools but not very many inserts. Any particular tool shop to look for?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

HC, here is a link I posted a while back on how to figure out what insert # you needed. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f183/car...numbers-53170/ One you figure out what insert you need you can find the best deal. Post a pic of your inserts with dimentions and we should be able to narrow it down.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

All I know is that I have the cheap 1/4" tool holders from Harbor Freight (or Little Machine Shop) that use the triangle bits.

After looking at some of those other tool holders I may enlarge one to use a bigger bit. Seems to me the bigger bits would break less often?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.