lathe & mill
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lathe & mill

Another Day In Paradise DiabloII's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default lathe & mill

I've been looking at the grizzly machines and i've narrowed it to the 2 that i like, basically due to the fact that i know i can get parts for it when and if something breaks.

my question does anybody on here have any experience with grizzly tools & are there any other lathes or mills that you would recommend??

here the 2 i'm looking at

G3102 Vertical Mill

G0709 14 X 40 Gunsmith's Gearhead Lathe
    buying up all the guns and ammo i can just to PISS OFF the douche bag liberals

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I Don't know much about grizzly, but i'm sure someone here does.

I would look at used Machines. The prices are so cheap right now! The most cost is the tooling anyway. You can get a nice bridgeport for $1500-$2000 easy, parts are readily available too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

the dark knight gives good advice. i only paid 1500 for my mill and 650 for my lathe. unless your dealing with limited space, i would agree with him.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I've bought both new Grizzly lathes & small mills. They are worth what you pay for, a hobbist machine with a warrenty; not a production machine. Also, I've picked up used Japanese (JET) machines that are in need of repair, that are cheap if you know how to do the repairs & like to work on others cast offs! Machinery should be a community project with the masters at it controling the usage & tutoring till those who need it & want to learn are adept at not destroying the equipment while making parts! Times are hard & we have not taught the younger generation how to work with their hands for a living !

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score

I bought my Bridgeport, including a DRO, for $250!! It works OK although the table is a bit rough. Suits my purposes just fine.

I bought a Clausing lathe with some tooling, mostly chucks Built my own collet chuck, cleaned an inch of filth off, repaired a loose fan in the drive, added a DRO and I am set. About 2 grand in the lathe package.

Both purchased at auction and I am pleased with both!

I threw together a rotary 3 phase converter from stuff I had lying around.

Lathe before I added the DRO:

You can see corner of the mill to the left. No good pics of it at the moment but surely most everyone has seen an old Bridgeport!

I am no fan of the Chinese machines, vastly preferring used American machines - but that is just me - your opinion may vary.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I bought my Bridgeport, including a DRO, for $250!!
    You suck
    Nice buys, wish I could find ones like that around here.

Diablo,
    Those are nice machines, if your mainly going to use them for smithing, your most likely getting more then you'll need.

As the others have said, you could look for used stuff in your area, for those prices you can get some nice equipment & some tooling. But then there won't be any warranty unless you buy from a company that deals with used tools.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

A warranty can be over-rated. A well built but used machine is likely to have had all its "issues" long ago. An older QUALITY machine that is not worn excessively and for which parts are available should present few, if any problems. Clausing is still in business and will sell parts, althought they are expensive. Many aftermarket parts are available for the Bridgeport as well. SOME of the Chinese stuff can be very hard to get parts for, let alone under warranty. They are built under contract by different factories and not a lot of spare parts are made. Probably Grizzly and Jet are the best of them but having used them, I am less than impressed. One advantage, however, is that most include the ability to cut metric threads which my old Clausing does not. It is a task I do rarely so I just go use a friend's machine that has the capability.

I am not totally anti-Asian as the mill DRO is Japanese and the lathe DRO is Chinese.

IMHO machinery dealers are mostly out to take advantage of you. The best buys are at auctions but it takes some effort to get decent stuff and not overpay. I am very fortunate to have a friend that is very good at evaluating machinery and moving same. We have a deal; I work on his turbine helicopter and he helps me evaluate and move machinery!!

Feedback Score

Hello DiabloII,
    Are there other things that you would like to use your mill and lathe to make ??? If for example you'd like to build some race car or airplane-helicopter parts... or try to make some bux on the side. Then a larger mill would be a better item to have.

For hobby-craft homeshop machining the Grizzly machines are more than satisfactory, spendy but sat.

I've had an Enco 12x36 lathe as well as a smaller 10x36 Atlas lathe and done useful gun work on both (up to 2.5 inch bore black powder cannons). I've also used them to build small turbine engines and large RC model planes (and helos). Such things depend largely on the user's skill.

Geographic location also figures into this decision since the pricng of nice used machinery varies greatly with location. Ebay can be a spendy crap-shoot. Shipping can be a major problem. Yes, auctions can be a neet source for smokin' deals. The buyers must be knowledgeable or have skilled help from friends. There are as many happy stories as there are horror stories.

Happy Shopping,
    VD

Feedback Score

Here is a pic of my shop shed under construction. The lathe is a Clausing 5918 series and the mill is a Milwaukie H2 Universal w/ a B-Port head added. Both in need of resto work. I have owned several mills and lathes. More is better !!!

VD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Hello DiabloII,
    Were you able to find a mill and lathe that suits your needs ???

VD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.