Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old Iron

Feedback Score

That Turner gear box is likely from a moose-sized Turner lathe from after 1932. The company is still around in Kansas City as the Blue Chip Machine Co. They make among other things the "Turner U-drive" continuing the Turner business for 78 years making non-automotive "speed changers".

So that gear box is the real deal not from a car tranny !!! Being real American it uses inch spec fittings and seals.

Your polebarn-shop is looking great moleman !!!!

VD

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks Viper Dude, the shop is slowly taking shape. I ran the motor and gear box where it sat a little bit once I put the quart of oil in it. It seems that it is a four speed gear box. The two levers have three positions each. One of the two levers has to be in the middle position no matter what. If you put both levers in the middle it locks up the gear box, same as if you don't have one lever set in the middle position. There is no ground on the motor as it sits, but it needs a longer cord with some sort of on/off switch so I'll take care of it then.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Damn, nice find and nice shop.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks Dark Knight, I've made a little progress on it over the past weeks. I managed to take the arbor out of the spindle and then removed the spindle and bearings. The only real damage I've found so far is a cracked iron thrust washer that goes between the back side of the front bronze bearing and the spacers (water pipe sections) for the sprocket. From the ammount of black crud in the crack I think it was in use for some time like that. The bearing felts were as hard as fiber board so they will need to be replaced also. It will be a fun winters project to get it torn down, checked and put back into service. I'd rather do that than use it as is and have it tear its self apart after having made it 122+ years. It is a very simple design and should be an easy rebuild. One odd thing that Viper Dude pointed out before I even noticed it was the table had been turned around at some point. My guess is this was done to put the handle on the right side as it only has one. No leaks from the gear box yet, so perhaps it has to be running for the oil to leak out. It didn't look like it leaked in the past though so perhaps it had been drained for some reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moleman; 09-29-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Feedback Score

Why is your pole barn so damn clean. It doesn't look like it gets used at all.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 00redZX-6R View Post
    Why is your pole barn so damn clean. It doesn't look like it gets used at all.
    It's only about 4 months old Give it some time and I'll cram that barn so full of machines that I'll feel like I'm back in the cramped garage Right now I'm resisting the urge to get an antique manual iron worker thats for sale locally.

Feedback Score

Why resist if the price is right.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Whats the vise like? From the pics it looks Great.

Feedback Score

The antique machinery fellows over on Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web believe that the vise on moleman's Garvin is from a Lewis Shaper. Shaper vises are really beefy and highly desireable. Expect to pay real cash for one.

VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The vise does look like a Lewis Shaper vise as Viper Dude stated. It seems like it is a very well made vise. I haven't made any progress on the mill in the last couple weeks, but hopefully that'll turn around soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.