Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Iron

d65
    Feedback Score

Now that's the kind of find I want!! Congrats!!!

d65
    Feedback Score

And very nice looking shop!!!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks d65, There's still room for more toys!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Recently I picked up a mid 70's basket case Clausing 1300 13x36 lathe with taper attachment for $400. It needs quite a bit of work to get going but I'm in no hurry with two other lathes in the shop. Here's a pic. So far I've go the carriage off and disassembled. I've found a few parts that Need replaced like two gears in the quick change gear box, leadscrew, cross slide screw and nuts. The compound was missing and a mismatch broken one came with the lathe. At some point water had got down inside of the apron a wrecked much of it also. I was able to find an almost complete carriage locally for $150 so besides a missing handle, and the cross slide screw and nut the carriage is almost taken care of. There were two gears in the quick change gear box that need repaired or replaced as they have a damaged spot on them. I may just braze up the bad area and recut it like I did on my Sheldon lathe. I have found the correct acme rod to make a new cross slide screw, so I'd just need a tap to make the nuts. It uses a split nut design to take up any backlash so it should be a simple fix. The leadscrew can also be replaced with generic acme rod that has a keyway in it. The headstock gears look great and the rest of the quick change gear box gears look great also, but I am replacing all the bushings and bearings in the QCGB as they weren't oiled regularly.

First pic is the lathe as soon as it was set in the barn. Second is the headstock gears which all look excellent. Third is what I found inside of the apron that caused the power feed to seize up as the prior owner mentioned. Forth is what the replacement apron looks like. Just a tiny bit of finish wear on a couple of teeth. Fifth is the only two bad gears in the QCGB. The small one can likely have the damaged area turned off and the larger one can be brazed and the teeth recut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moleman; 04-27-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: add

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It's not all sunshine, rainbows and unicorns. The Sheldon lathe came with a 6" Cushman 4-jaw chuck that need a new backplate. I found a backplate that would work for $20 and fitted it to the chuck. My oldest daughter and I made a set of keys to make dialing it in easier. I figure sweet! for $20 and a little work I have another chuck for the lathe. I finally got a chance to use it Monday turning down a 1.25" blank to around .980" and I noticed the finish wasn't as shiny near the chuck. I found nothing wrong and attempted to thread the barrel only to have the positive rake bit grab the barrel stub and pull it towards it making a spot around .020" under the major dia. Inspecting the chuck reviled that it is junk. The keyways the jaws ride on are cracked on the outer ends of the chuck which can allow the work piece to move around. One of the keyways which wasn't glaringly obviously cracked before is now. It appears that at some point the chuck was used a lot with the jaws about 1/3rd out of the chuck body instead of flipping them around. That put too much stress on the outer ends of the jaw keys and cracked them. It doesn't show up well in the pic, but the flat spot is right in the middle of the threads. Replaced the chuck and all went back to normal with the lathe.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Forgot to update the Garvin horizontal mill. When tearing it down I found the main nut on the x axis to be completely stripped out. The backlash nut looked new in comparison and was what was actually moving the table. A quick check showed it had 6TPI square threads and was 7/8" in dia. I quickly made up a threaded bushing only to find it wouldn't screw on. Then I noticed it was a two start thread and was really a 3tpi ..... As it stood the largest thread my Sheldon lathe could cut was 4tpi. It sat for several years as other projects came up and health issues sprang up. Recently I decided to tackle it and got a 22t gear to replace the 44t input side gear of the quick change gear box. That would cut the listed threads on the chart in half and allow me to thread the 7/8"-3 two start square threads when the gearbox was set to cut 6tpi. With the compound set parallel to the bed the first thread was cut, then the compound was advanced the correct amount to zero out to cut the second start. The table is back on and works much better. I want to remake the motor mount so I haven't installed the spindle or motor yet.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

That looks like a good find for $100. Is your shop still that empty or did you fill it up?
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It filled up some. The first pic of the Clausing is in my barn. The back panel of the lathe is leaning up against the side of our boat. There's a camper I there as well. Still room for a Bridgeport! I've been looking and haven't found the right deal locally yet.

Feedback Score

that garage needs some color!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Needs insulation and interior walls first...Oh and a heater to keep the coolant from freezing in the winter.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.