Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Drill/Mill to CNC ?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Bah, iirc i bought them for 28 when I did mine. Of course if you cnc them its about 15 bucks for a chunk of fortal

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

its about 15 bucks for a chunk of fortal
    What's fortal?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Fortal is a proprietary version of 7075. I really like it for receivers and high stress (for aluminum) parts

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

OH ok, I'll have to check that out later.

Well it's been really busy at work the last few weeks, didn't have much time to do much in that time, hopefully I'll get to work on it some more this weekend.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Bought a mill stand from WT and put it together. Mill came Tues and after un-crating it I reached down and grabbed ahold of it and swung it up to the stand-as I was leaning over to position it over the mounting holes-at a bad angle. SNAP. Damn- I pulled a muscle in the middle of my back- I damn near pissed my pants. I think it's only 130 lbs-must be getting to be a pansie in my old age.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Sure post a positive and negative post

Glad to hear you got it and it made it through the rough shipping process
    Sorry to hear about the back, I know what you mean though, 4 or 5 years ago I bent over to pick something up from the floor, pulled a muscle in the lower back and had to deal with that for four days. I thought the same thing you did

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Coils I had to pull my y axis apart. I used 7 spring washers one way and 8 the other (uneven number to get spacing right.) the washers are very very very close to being flat.

As a side note I was cutting UHMW and was told to run water and dishwashing soap as a lubricant.

It promptly stripped away all oil and after sitting a week rusted solid. I had to remove the ball screws and then pry out every damn little ball........

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the info

I had to look up UHMV, what's it usually used for, and how durable is it?

That really sucks about the ball screw & nut. Will you be able to rebuild the nuts or do you have to replace everything?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my update
    I pulled the table apart again, hopefully this will be the last time.

Got the temporary stepper motor mounts like 80-90% done, when I get the table back together I'll just need to do the final fitment and line the motors up.

I might have been a little closer to done but I decided (kind of at the last minute) to add an oiler setup with one of those "one shot oilers" and some fittings for the X & Y, think I got a setup for the ball screws too but have to wait until I get the table back on to check those. The main thing I did was got the table setup for the oil delivery fittings, going to install those and the tubing right away, will still need to make a manifold type thing and finish hooking everything up on the outside of the mill.

I should have this all together this weekend, but don't think it will be running until next week, still need the XL belts and don't know the sizes yet, so won't be able to pick these up or have them delivered until sometime during the week.

OH almost forgot, still need to finish setting up Mach3 and figure out how to use it

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

UHMW is a very slippery durable plastic. Many uses. I keep some on hand for rapid prototyping but I am also making a hundred parts to sell to the AR crowd.
    UHMW is often used under heavy moving parts. Like under heavy logs and the chains that drag thwm on log decks. Super resiliant when used righr and a dream to machine. I never ran water and soap until recently.

I was able to clean the ball nuts but have ordered new balls.

Let me know when you get to the mach IIIII setup.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Coils, pics of the oiler system????

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.