Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Drill/Mill to CNC ?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I know it sucks, but glad to hear you only need to buy some balls for your nuts LOL I know that just sounds totally wrong and twisted

I'll ask you more about that UHMW later, I think I know what it is and if it's cheap enough I'd like to mess with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As for the oiler, don't have any pics of mine right now, but I found this stuff on line. Do a search for "one shot oiler" and a few things come up.

This is basicly what I'm doing, but still need to finish the Y ball screw, where he has that flat piece of aluminum is where I'm going to mount the manifold with adjustable valves to control the ammount of oil going to each fitting.

You can see how the two lines go to the Y ways, these are easy because you just find a spot, drill and tap.
    The ones for the X were a little harder, I found the area I wanted them and drilled in from the outside, then drilled that hole larger 3/4 or more of the way to get the tap to the inside edge, then tapped the outer hole for a plug, then drilled the oil hole to the ways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Here's a site that I originally found the info, you'll see the pic above near the bottom of the page.
    CNCCookbook: IH Mill One Shot Oiling
    I bought a knock off oiler, it looks like his but it's made in china and cost about $50.
    I found the elbow fittings and flow valves on ebay for less then half the price of most places.

OH and just thought of this, if you have your table apart, you might want to get the fitting and tubing a while, this way you can install this stuff to the table and leave the tubes hanging out the side until your ready to finish it. That's what I've done, I got tubes hanging out of the left side of my table right now.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

AND????!?!?!! are you "there" yet??????

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Are we there yet, are we there yet?

Three things
    1- Got the table together, still need to take the top off later to put the oil hose in for the Y screw. But I can turn the X & Y by hand with the pulleys on, doesn't seem like there is any play at all, still have to check them with some guages yet.

2- I guessed wrong on one pulley that I modified for the Z, it didn't work out.

3- I thought I was going to be there this past weekend, found a place locally that had XL belts so I stopped by and got some that I thought would work, but only two seem like they will work.

So I ordered a couple belts (since they are fairly cheap), and a new pulley, should be here by the end of the week and should have it motorized over the weekend.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

OK now a Mach3 question, I've been scratching my head over one part and can't figure it out.
    The text below (Motor Tuning) is a copy / paste from a quick setup PDF I found
    The bold part is what's confusing me. What's the "step resolution" of the motor drive?

My motor steps are 200 per revolution
    My step resolution is ?
    And the screw pitch is 5 Turns Per Inch (TPI)
    So my setup would be 200 x ? x 5 = Can't finish and don't want to guess

Motor Tuning:
    Finally we’ll get to actually spin some motors. The first thing in the tuning process is to
    calculate how many steps per unit of travel we have. This depends on a few things:
    In case of a step motor:
    • The amount of steps per revolution, most commonly 200.
    The step resolution of the motor drive, if you set at 8
    • And finally, the thread pitch of the screw. (How far the table moves with each rotation
    of the screw) let say it has a 5TPI pitch.
    So Step per should be 200 x 8 x 5 = 8000.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Step resolution comes from your stepper motor. Look at its documentation. you probably have 200 steps per revolution or 1.8 degree, but inside each step is an additional number of "ministeps"(I dont know the right word so I will say mini steps) 10 per 1.8 degree step. so you would have 10,000 "ministeps" for every 1" of travel
    Dont forget your pulleys affect it as well.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

maybe this will help. under motor tuning tab you should have a list of axis on the right top is x
    the middle should have a graph representing the velocity and acceleration of the axis you have clicked on from the list. default should be x axis.

At the bottom you will have a steps per. ? my x axis is direct driven (no pulleys) and has a .200" pitch screw. So 5 rev per 1", my stepper is a 1.8* so 200 steps per revolution, BUT it has a resolution of 10 per step. thus 5*200*10=10,000 Its value is 10000.

Next to it is velocity, this is set at roughly 51.

Next to this is acceleration, this is set at roughly 6.

You set the 10000 number by typing it into the block. If you are running a 2:1 ratio pulley to give more torque the value would be 2*10,000 or 20000

You set the velocity and acceleration by dragging the tab to the right and below the graph and sliding them.

My y axis uses a 30 tooth pulley on the ball screw and a 13 tooth on the stepper.
    30/13=2.3076

SO...
    5 revolutions of ballscrew =1"
    200 steps of motor = 1 rev of ballscrew
    10 ministeps per step (resolution)
    pulley ratio 2.3076

My y value is 5*200*10*2.3076 or 23076
    velocity is roughly 40
    acceleration is roughly 4

I confirm these with direct measurement with a 6" digital scale.

I hope Im not talking down to you, I am trying to make it simple...

Sorry for the 2 day delay. I was used to you asking via email. I will check here more often too.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

When you get closer I will send you the g code to machine ar15 and ar10 lowers....

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I thought I'd ask it here first, then email you if you didn't replay by today (been busy at work anyway), I think others are watching this thread and I was thinking it might help someone else too.

And no I don't think your talking down to me, I feel like an idiot with these electronic parts so your helping a lot.

Oh I got the new pulley today so if everything works out I should have it motorized this weekend WooHoo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to the stuff above

So the "resolution" is basically the mini steps, 200 steps per revolution at 1.8* per step, then the "mini steps" are in the 1.8* OK I understand that.
    But I can't find that on the motors I bought, I got them from that place you said on page one. Here's the link, it's the second one down rated at 495 oz-in but the specification doesn't show that info
    Stepper Motor

I think I pretty much got the same setup as you, except I went with a 2:1 belt drive on the table instead of direct drive, but I might switch to direct drive later after I start playing with it more.
    Here's what I got
    -NEMA23 495 oz-in motors
    -power supply looks the same, KL-350-48
    -Gecko G540
    -the 5/8" x .200 ball screws & nuts from Roton
    -Mach3 (demo version)

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Since you seem to be good at the math with this stuff, try this one because I'm not sure if I'm right.

On the Z I'm using the original fine feed for now, it's .080" per revolution and I'm going with a 1:1 belt drive.
    So to find out the Turns Per Inch, am I figuring it out right at 12.5 TPI ?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.