Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: HF Drill/Mill to CNC ?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Ok first your steppers, go with resolution or ministeps of 10. After set up ill walk you through using a dial indicator and the quick and dirty way to use machIII To verify.

On the z, 12.5 rev per inch, 1:1 200 steps resolution 10 means your z value will be 12.5*200*10=25000
    I dont think you will be happy with the factory screw.and its backlash, but well work on that too.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

WOW I didn't think you'd be on that early (or late) or I would have watched for your reply.

OK I'll try 10
    I know I'm repeating myself, but where do you find the resolution? I don't see it with the motor info, I even looked on Gecko's site thinking it might have something to do with the controller and didn't notice it there either.
    It's just one of those things I feel I should know in case I change something later

Yeah I know the mill's Z fine feed isn't the best way to go, but I'm hoping it will be accurate enough until I can get it switched over to a ball screw, If I have to I'll just set it manually and just do 2D type cutting at first.

There's some heavy storms coming in so I'm shutting down the pc until it passes
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I dont remember where the resolution was listed but it was in my literature for the steppers. Ill be online from 6p to 6a tonight.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Well got the motors mounted, hooked up to the controller & PC too, spun the motors a few times in each directions and everything moves. Took a couple pics and will post them later.

The only issue I can see right now is the Z is going backward, it goes down pushing the page up key & vise-versa, so I got to see if there's a way to switch this in Mach or I'll have to switch wires around.
    I'll mess with it more on Sunday, it's been a long week
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

That is no biggie, you either switch motor ports or something else. Ignore that for now. Monday or tuesday illook for the way to switch it.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah I know it's not an issue, I figured one of those pin ports in the program can be switched or I'll just move the motor to the other side of the mount, but I like where it's at because it's out of the way. Going to go search for info on this

Here's some pics of the temporary mounts, first the Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

And the Y & X
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

You definitely went a new way on the mounts. I will need to look at them on something bigger than a droid tomorrow.
    If that z axis works I have 2 suggestions.
    1 mount a 6" cheapo harbor freight digital to it to get actual direct z axis measurement.

2 If you were to get a cam operated idler wheel on the drive belt you could disengage the stepper and have a drill press option. I have wished for this many tikes as i cant manually drill anymore. Sure I have a drill press but i have to break set up.(****edit wait, can you do it by just tightening or losening the knob on the press handle? I cant remember how that set uolp worked***)

Oh and 3, if I were you I would start planning for flood coolant. Once you get going you will realize you can drastically ramp up speeds, tool life and quality with it.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Well I got the Z motor turning the proper way, don't ask me to explain it , I was in the one config screen with all the checks & X's and the one middle column X I changed to a check mark.

With the mounts I kept looking it over and thinking about them, the Z was the easiest with about 3 ways to try, the others two were more of a pain, I bet I thought up at least a dozen different ways before I thought of those.

1- So even though there's a DRO in Mach, you think I should still add one to the machine itself? I was going to do that with all three axis with those cheap ones before I decided to go the CNC route

2- Yeah the way the setup is now I could unlock the fine feed and still use it like a drill press, but then I'd need to buy a good chuck instead of an out of round Chinese crap one

3- I don't know if I'd want to go with a flood system on this setup with the round column, I'd want to close it into a cabinet so it won't splash everywhere and make a mess, I think it would be hard to change the height of the head.
    Now if I want to make an all out CNC setup I would get a square column and do it on that.
    I was going to put in an air setup with an adjustable mist set on a very fine flow of coolant, this way there will be a constant air stream to blow the chips away and the air alone will still provide some cooling, but the fine mist will also add some lube at the same time. I know this isn't the best way but it will be better then nothing.

OK off to check out some more of the Mach setup videos on boobtube

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I would just add a cheap scale to the z axis. This is the weak link in the system made even weaker.bu your choice to reuse the fine lead.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.