Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Drill/Mill to CNC ?

Feedback Score

Hello Coils,
    Get some PVC pipe scraps to practice threading both ID and OD. It's cheap thrills !!! Good training too. Use a thread pitch gage to check the threads both inch and metric (approx) to insure you get what you want. Threading is one of the most useful features of a lathe.

VD

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Well I just went and looked at stuff I'd need, at least what I think I'll need, to cut internal threads and it looks like it's going to be almost as much as that tap since I don't have anything, so I think I'm going to wuss out for now and just get the tap for this project.

But yes, I got to plan on messing around with the lathe more and try to cut some threads. Thanks for the pvc idea
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Got the ball screw nuts on Tuesday, they're smaller then I thought they'd be. And got the stepper motors yesterday.

Going to the local scrap yard Friday to see if they have any aluminum that will work for mounts, if not will order some over the weekend.

Now a bearing question
    Which of these will work? The only ones I see that say designed for "thrust" loads are expensive or large.
    McMaster-Carr
    I want to order the bearings, spring washers, XL pulleys and whatever else from them this weekend.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Bump

Still looking for bearing info, ask over at WG too and still confused about these damn things

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I dont see the bearing I used. let me hunt a bit

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

ok I am unable to read any of the installed bearings clearly.

It is POSSIBLE one is labeled E0C10S(or 5) KOYO

I found an old bearing box labeled
    KOYO EE5S2ASC3 GXM 00902

and finally I think this was a radial bearing but
    KOYO EE5SRS

The laptop will have to charge before I can look further on line
    The bearings were rather much

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I ordered these bearings from MSC the month I did the conversion

I have a bearing box that says
    EE5S2ASC3 GXM 00902 KOYO

I can barely make out EE5SRS on one installed bearing

These are the springs I ordered
    94065K54 mcmaster belleville springs

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the numbers

What's the difference in the single row & double row angular contact bearings, if I go single I'd need two since they only take the thrust load in one direction, and with the double I only need one and they take the thrust load in both direction? Hope I got that right.
    But how do you go about making sure the doubles get preloaded? That's one of the parts that confuse me, I understand how to do it with a single row bearing but haven't seen any info on the doubles.

Sorry for all the questions on the bearings, I just want to make sure I understand it before I order any.
    I was hoping to get some time to mess with the mill this weekend to take some measurements and order the bearing.
    I don't know if it will work but I want to see if I can mod the original bearing housing to hold the new bearing, if not then I can start planning on new housings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I got the ball screws & nuts, stepper motors, XL pulleys, and found some scrap aluminum pieces that might work. So once I get these things figured out I can start planning & shopping for the electronics side of it.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Ive kinda been off the net for a while, sorry. Hows the project coming along?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

No need to be sorry, it's good to see you have enough of a life to get away from this place for a while

It's going slow since I'm guessing at some things, I never did get the email confirmation from the CNCZone forum, so I stopped trying. I can see most of the threads but very few pics, can view the videos but most of them show the end result and really nothing about the build itself.

I got to work on the ball screw, it was a bitch since I didn't have a way to anneal it. Hell the bandsaw wouldn't even cut it
    I started with a set of 3/8" indexable cutter bits (the triangle ones) and that took forever to get it turned down for the bearing (12mm) to fit, I went through two of those bits just to get to that point on one shaft.
    Then I ordered some 1/2" sized holders & bits, they worked a lot better but it still took a while to get two of the screws turned down and threaded.
    I got a pic but couldn't get them to load, it looks like that is fixed now so I'll try again later.

I got more of the electronics today actually.
    Got an aluminum case that came with a power switch, E-stop, outlet hookup stuff, and something else. The Gecko 540 driver, a 50watt 7.3 amp power supply, and some cables for motor hook up.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get to mess with the mill itself and start making the ball nut holders/mounts.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.