Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Drill/Mill to CNC ?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I did see that mod somewhere, can't remember if it was in this thread or not?

Since you brought up the Y axis.
    When you did the ball nut mount on the Y, did you put both nuts on one side of the mounting block (like toward the front of center) or on both sides of center? Talking about the mount to the table, not the table itself.
    I ask because I didn't look close enough at mine yet to figure it out and thought I'd ask so I don't have to guess and waste time with something that might not work.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I cant remember and I tried to look but cant see..

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

That's ok, just thought of that at the moment and I actually screwed up my own question, I was thinking the X but typed Y. DOH

And with the Y mod, I looked back through the thread and on page 3 holescreek's one pic shows his Y slot in the base. You can see he opened his up to get more travel, the one thing I noticed right away is it looks like he had to open up the back of the slot some too.
    On mine the slot goes almost all the way back already, maybe an inch or less from the back, so if I do this mod I only need to go toward the front. I'm wondering if they changed this after mine was made, I think mine is a late 80s early 90s model?

I should have time to mess with it tonight, hopefully I can get it back together and have time to start rough cutting the mounts too.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

And??

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

LOL

Think I got the mounts for the ball nuts done for the X & Y, didn't mount them yet because I wanted to get started on temporary motor mounts today, no not the style I suggested earlier.
    If I didn't need to use the mill to make these things I think I'd be a lot further along, taking the table apart several times doesn't help either.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Nnope, it does suck... just protect those gibs when they are out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

wholesale tool here has a sale on mini mills and a combo pack-a mini mill and a mini table lathe. My question....what's the difference and which is best. R-8 spindle or 3MT spindle. I only plan to use on AK's and AR 80% lowers-and possibly a 308 lower. Thanks-Bill

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

BBill do each of those machines offer the option of either R8 or 3MT, or are they listed seperately for each machine?

R8 collets are mainly used on mills, and that's what I'd get. The collet holds the tool (end mill, fly cutter, ect), they come in many sizes in inch and metric (inch is standard) as small as 1/32 of and inch and I think up to 3/4 or 7/8 of an inch, they also have square & five sided holes for diffenert tools if you find a use for them.
    You can find basic info about them on Wiki, just google "R8 collet"

MT is Morse Taper, the number is the size, it seems a #2 & 3 are the most common, so tools for these sizes are easy to find.
    A MT is more common for lathes, and I would not buy a mill that has an MT spindle.
    Info on these can also be found on Wiki by searching "morse taper"

With doing AR receivers, measure the rough height of one from the bottom of the mag well to the top of that collar the stock screws into (sorry I forget what it is), then add (guessing) like 3 inches to that. Then see how much Z or vertical clearance that mill has, if it's around this or more then that mill should work.

Hope this helps, and please ask if you have any other questions or if I didn't explain it well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well... the Wholesale Tool mill looked kinda cheesy, so I went to Harbor Freight.
    None of the stores in Indy had them-they said to order it. They said in stock.
    I called them to see if in stock and they said discontinued. New mini mill was
    "New and improved" HA HA. Also 20.00 more. Shipping for the sob is 75.00. I got it because I want to later convert to CNC. Oh yeah..R8 collet. Thanks for your help. Bill

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Bill whats the stock number on the one you oredered?

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.