Thread: running a mill on a generator ???

Feedback Score

Default running a mill on a generator ???

i just got my pm45 have yet to run it and its at my step dads who rents so i cant change or upgrade what is needed.the mill will run on 110 or 220 so seeing as i cant change the receptical and i think if i did their is other things drawing from the sam circuit lights,othe recepticals ect.So seeing as i cant change things like the out of code old school fuse box and such.so i opt to use a generator till i buy the place i am waiting to see if anouther guys loan went through sucks lol i want this place.any way the mill is a 1.5 hp the generator ishttp://www.tractorsupply.com/champion-power-equipment-trade-3500w-4000w-portable-generator-4434023 this one if the link worked which is a 3500 w an 4,000 w surge capability will this be enough power for my mill or not?as alway thank you guys for any halp as i would like to run my mill seeing as i have yet to turn it on to use it or see if it works plus i got some kits to build lol

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Sorry can't give an answer on the generator

What kind of stuff is running on that curciut?
    You mentioned lights and other outlets, you should be fine as long as your not running other power tools at the same time. My garage is on one breaker, there's 4 lights and 3 outlets on a 15amp breaker, and my 2hp 110v mill runs fine as long as I don't try to use any other power tools that draw a good bit of amps.
    If anything you might want to install a delayed breaker, might even be called a time delay breaker, it allows for surges when tools like these first start
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

thank you coils i as im new to milling and dont know much on the old fuse boxes an paranoid to burn up my machine lol.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Your welcome
    I'd just try it, turn everything off that you can on that curcuit and turn on the mill, if it works turn the mill off then turn on the lights (since you'll be using them sometimes) and turn on the mill again and see if everything stays on.

I think you'll be ok
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

No sweat........If it blows fuses....just replace fuse with a copper penny & it won't blow no mo.

NOT!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

I would not doubt that the generator will run and not harm the milling machine but unless you have a really clean,steady power supply the ability to get a really good finish is hard to obtain. Any pulses, low or high will affect the appearance.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

So any updates? Or are you too busy playing with the mill to post

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Dont do it if you have dro on the mill.....

Feedback Score

Those inexpensive digital scales used for DRO should be safe from voltage fluxuation since they use their own tiny battery(s).

From your other post about over heating of your mill motor on the garage juice... have a qualified electrician check out that ancient circuit. Something smells funny there. Try your new mill on reputable electricity at another location first.

In any case a power generator is a great thing to have in these uncertain times of storms, tornados, earthquakes, terrorists, politicians...

VD in AZ

Feedback Score

ya they are im working on getin my own place at this time its at my step dad becouse i dont have a garage but ive really been thinking of kicking the dryer out and moving the mill in lol it'd fall through the floor lol

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.