Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: projects

Feedback Score

Default projects

okay guys i am new to the milling machine and im looking to expand my knowledge befor i go to machining school, are their any use full but simpler projects i can do to hone my skills? i have made a barrel pin pressing block but thats it so far like i said i am new to this any help would be awsome thanks guys.tryed looking on the net but havent found much.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I assume you are talking about making one offs for personal use. If that's the case, don't stop at your BP press block.
    There are a multitude of jigs and fixtures for building AKs. There are couple of things in the library. I know that the TG riveting jig that I used to sell is in there. I'm also pretty sure that the plans for 555th's bending jig and plinker762's riveting fixture (The first 3 AK building tools available and the ones that started it all) are in there as well.
    AKbuilder picked up where we left off and now offers almost every conceivable tool a home builder could want. Take a look at his line, lots of neat stuff you can make. As long as you are just making it for yourself and not planning on selling them.

Feedback Score

Hello dball1020,
    What sort of mill are you using ???
    Have you seen the MIT ed video series on machinetools ??? They are free for the download and are excellent.

Get the textbooks that you will use in your course-work and become familiar with the proper terminology. Used textbooks are also good to add to your home shop library. Current texts emphasise CNC processes while older texts like prior to 1990 focus more on manual machinery. The same deal applies to "Machinery's Handbook", the bible of machining info.

Aluminum is always fun to mill as it is easy to cut. Some schools have their students machining on special wax which helps preserve the lab machinery.

Have fun !!!

VD in AZ

Feedback Score

the mill i purchased is PM45MMill i am looking to build anything use full i have most of the tools to build ak's im looking for anything to build so i can get beter at machining and take on harder projects with no sweat an also to become more familiar with my machine.i have never used a mill even in school. I purchased 3 small end mills and broke all three of them drilling a rivet out they was cobalt and i was'nt running my machine very fast and im thinking that is y they broke as i didnt put alot of pressure.the bit sizes that i broke was 1/16,1/8 1/32.but if u guys can help me with some projects that be grate an even beter if it had pics also an all the measurements thank you guys and thanks 7.62x39 and viper dude

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Invest a few hours/days at this website and you'll have months of projects, as well as an irresistable urge to purchase a welder and other tools:

Homemade Tools at Homemadetools.net -- Thousands of Homemade Tools

Feedback Score

Hello dball1020,
    That is a nice looking mill and at 3 hp it should carve steel with ease. It appears to be able to fit in a small shop.

When drilling or plunge milling with a mill I always place a piece of plywood under the work to protect the table or vise from damage. Stuff happens !!! Also... I'd avoid using a large face cutter ie greater than 2 inch diameter on any light mill as they can chatter or wreck and damage the machine

Do you have a lathe in your shop ???

VD in AZ

Feedback Score

no i wish but again have no clue really how to use it but i will have one lol.aboy its nice seeing what others make and how they make it look so easy but dam its not lol and just make me frustrated cause i suck lol!i learned my lesson on a peice of brass rod today kept jumping side ways at certain spots which i kinda knew it would happen but wasnt too sure.i didnt have anything that i could put in the vice to make the contact points larger and circular

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't have much luck with those smaller sizes either. You have to clear the chips more often and look up what RPM they should be spun at as you can't get away with much at those sizes. Also reguardless if it says centercut, do yourself a favor a drill a hole first for plunge cuts. Made in china cutters also don't last near as long as a well made endmill from the good ole USA and I'm sure others could tell you countries that make good cutting tools, but I like to buy American.

Feedback Score

i need to learn how to use the dial's for measuring the table travel and spindle travel so i can set it up for a project i may be doing,and also so i can set up prior, but then again i need to learn how to set up my work peice to as i have no clue on how to even do that. if any on can help teach me or has a very good site that i can learn from would be grate thanks again

Feedback Score

Hello dball1020,
    Use your search engine (I use Dogpile) with the phrase: "How to run a mill" .
    Then select "Introduction to the Mill" which is the MIT education site for machinery. The address is too long to type here.

Also you can select "How to use a Milling Machine - Instructions" which is a great site from a corporate sponsor. Save these locations as they are really good ones.

Breaking tiny endmills...

Spin those tiny endmills at high RPM's like a die grinder does. Go no deeper into the work than 1/2 the diameter of the end mill bit on each pass (cut). Feed it very slowly.

There are formulas, charts, and software that tell you the RPM's, feeds, speeds, and depth of cut to use for different materials.

We don't have the bandwidth here to have a machining school but can try to direct you to the places on the net that have lots of related info.

Dials: those are micrometer dials that move the mill table or quill a tiny fraction. Clockwise turning drives the table AWAY from you. Your machine's manual will tell how much movement (displacement) each mark on the dials gives to the table.

Work Holding: about 88% of the mill work can be done holding the stuff in a vise on the table. That vise should be trammed-in ie squared up properly for starters. The vise is securely bolted to the mill table....

The bottom line is to read the above references carefully and often for some basics before wrecking stuff on your mill.

By all means do take the courses at your local votech. That is the fastest and easiest way to learn how to run machinery.

VD in AZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.