Thread: $50 mini lathe

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default $50 mini lathe

Hey, how's it going?

Does Viperdude and Moleman still come around?

I got a Dunlop 109 for $50 bucks today. I know the spindles bend and you can't do much with them, but for $50 how can I say no?

I already have a good sized lathe, so I figure this one would be a cool project.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    Hey, how's it going?

Does Viperdude and Moleman still come around?
    Yup, Both are still around on a regular basis.

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Yup, we're still around big time !!! The Moleman is back out of the hospital (again) and recovering at home.

Some fellows have adapted Sherline lathe compounds to the 6" Dunlap lathes for improved precision. You are right about the Dunlap spindles being rather weak... especially the 1/2" diameter early ones.

The Dunlap gears are identical to the Sears Craftsman/Atlas 618 lathes by the way and available even today. I have/am restoring an Atlas 618 (6" by 18" size machine) as well as a 12x36 inch Atlas lathe recently. They are still in-process but looking good.

Adapting a couple low bux digital calipers to your Dunlap as "DRO's" will help keep proper tolerancing. The lathe is a very light duty little machine. Some asian 7x10 etc lathe tooling might also be adapted. I adapted the 7x10 4-way tool post to my 618 lathe. I'm not a great fan of the lantern-type toolposts. They seem too flimsy especially using that curved rocker wedge.

A beefy base mount for the Dunlap will help reduce bed flex and chatter. A 34 inch length of 6" channel iron seems to be the way to go.

Post some pics of your new little lathe for the fellows here.

VD in AZ
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 12-03-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Better info...

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Great score Dark Knight! I saw one recently go for $150 in the local CL and would of snagged it if I could of. Any lathe is better than no lathe, and the more lathes the better!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I wish I had room for a lathe.

24'x24' sounded like plenty of room when I built it, but I can't even swing a dead cat in there now, as it is. LOL
    Having a close friend who's got like 30 years of job shop machining experience, with full access to said shop, does kinda take the sting out of not owning one.

Feedback Score

A "dead cat" ??? hahahaha....
    The term originally meant to swing a cat-o-9-tails whip back when war ships were made of wood and sailors made of iron !!!!

7.62x39, maybe you can add an extension onto your shop when the weather warms up next year. Your machinist friend could show you how to make some chips on a lathe and mill.

This past Saturday I taught a friend how to single-point thread on his "new" 90's vintage 13x40 Enco gear-head lathe. He hadn't done that sort of stuff since highschool several decades ago.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I grew up with a little southbend in my cellar. My father was a machinist who had a real nice home shop for hobby work. I could hold my own on a manual lathe, but know nothing about programming todays CNC machines.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

WTG on teaching your buddy to single point thread ViperDude! That is a most useful skill to have when you own a lathe. A 13"x40" lathe is a nice size to own too.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.