Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Southbend Lathe Resto ???

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

"I own 5 lathes and two mills." And you live in an apartment? Must have a cool landlord !
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Brad,
    Only three lathes and a small HF 12-speed bench mill are here at the apartment. They are small lathes at that ( a Harbor Freight 7x10, an Atlas 618, and an Atlas 12x36). Both Atlas's have the Timken bearing headstock. My 12x36 Clausing model 5918, 14 inch SouthBend, 2H K&T Universal mill w/added B'port head, and J-Head B'port are kept elsewhere due to lack of room and electricity here at the apartment. I forgot to include the J-Head in my count earlier Being single I can do this sort of stuff.

My furniture is mostly roll-away cabinets of tooling, closets are packed with parts kits, and welding equipment is stashed under benches and in the livingroom. The Atlas 12x36 lathe is out on the semi-enclosed patio under a camo tarp. I really need a large mill out there too but can't get a B'port through the hallway into the apartment... yet. Oh, I'm on the ground floor with no basement which helps a lot. See ??? It can be done.

Still I'm looking for a larger live-in shop in a secure area at a lower operating cost as I live on a tiny disability income (military - service connected ie combat connected).

VD in AZ

Feedback Score

No way. Buy the best you can afford.

Feedback Score

Hello Jay Byrd,
    Welcome to gunco !!!!
    For those members of the more bux club there are a number of nice lathes to be had. Grizzly sells gunsmith lathes from $3095 to $4395, some with tooling. However for a large number of fellows here quality metal lathes of gunsmithing size are out of reach.

What was shown in the original post was essentially a "kit lathe" requiring "sweat equity" to complete as well as skill. Yes, it also requires machinery to build, repair, or rebuild these machines. Keep in mind that gunsmithing is not a NASA project.

My suggestion to would-be lathe buyers/operators is to take the machinery courses at your local votech school first to gain some skill and appreciation for such machine tools. Then they may be better prepared to make a decision on such stuff.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Brad,
    Only three lathes and a small HF 12-speed bench mill are here at the apartment. They are small lathes at that ( a Harbor Freight 7x10, an Atlas 618, and an Atlas 12x36). Both Atlas's have the Timken bearing headstock. My 12x36 Clausing model 5918, 14 inch SouthBend, 2H K&T Universal mill w/added B'port head, and J-Head B'port are kept elsewhere due to lack of room and electricity here at the apartment. I forgot to include the J-Head in my count earlier Being single I can do this sort of stuff.

My furniture is mostly roll-away cabinets of tooling, closets are packed with parts kits, and welding equipment is stashed under benches and in the livingroom. The Atlas 12x36 lathe is out on the semi-enclosed patio under a camo tarp. I really need a large mill out there too but can't get a B'port through the hallway into the apartment... yet. Oh, I'm on the ground floor with no basement which helps a lot. See ??? It can be done.3

Still I'm looking for a larger live-in shop in a secure area at a lower operating cost as I live on a tiny disability income (military - service connected ie combat connected).

VD in AZ
    Sounds like my kind of digs Viperdude!
    When I got married 30 years ago, my wife asked me to stop dragging my snowmobiles into the living room to work on. But dang it was COLD in michigan!!
    So we moved to Florida where my best hang out coffee clutch buddy had two roll aways & and an engine on a stand in his dining room.
    Dang it's HOT in Florida!!

Feedback Score

Brad,
    Michigan ???? Jeeze, I lived there too, just after Vietnam. My small apartment in Walled Lake, MI had a 10 x 10 ft storgae cage in the basement where I set up a tiny shop with an Atlas 10x36 oldie lathe, Atlas horizontal bench mill, a drill press, and a work bench. I strung a beefy extension cord through the overhead rafters from a light to power it all. Being Michigan that custom extension cord got stolen. The replacement cord was tied securely in my locked storage cage.

Then after an ugly divorce I moved back to "Arizona, land of the free - home of the well-armed" !! It gets hot here too, really HOT ie 115+ at times in the Summer. You could almost heat treat steel out doors in the Summer !!!! haha.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Hey; I got one of them! Heh..Heh

I was born at Ypsilanti & been to Walled lake many times in the sixties.

Feedback Score

Brad,
    Your Atlas mill is newer and nicer shape than my oldie which was sold years ago to a gunsmith buddy here in AZ. He still has it and won't part with it (I tried to buy it back) !!! He however sold me his nice Cincinatti bench mill which is several times larger than the Atlas machine. Here is a pic of that Cincinatti bench mill that I then traded to my nephew. It is in his shop.

VD in AZ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 01-16-2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: ad pic and info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.