Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Southbend Lathe Resto ???

Feedback Score

Default Southbend Lathe Resto ???

For the builder needing a lathe very badly... here is a toasty vintage Southbend lathe of perhaps 15 to 16 inch swing available in Hamburg, PA per the Lancaster, PA craigslist. It is available as is for $125.oo with no motor.

Sounds like a resto project machine to me.

VD in AZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good find! With a bit of elbow grease and a coat of paint someone would have a very nice lathe there.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I like old iron. But that there looks to me like a factory lathe made for a single purpose. You'd need a different tailstock & carriage to do much. The ways don't look like you could find parts to fit. I see these factory South Bends on Ebay alot & they seldom sell .

Of course I'd still buy it if local to me. These things deserve better than sitting outside rusting away. That lathe has probably made millions of some specific part all day long for many years.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm not sure what the thing hanging off of the tailstock is either, but is shouldn't be too hard to convert it back to a standard handwheel tailstock even if you had to hacksaw off the back part. My sheldon just has a section of acme thread brazed to a rod section that has a flanged end with a bolt so that it can be bolted to a spacer and pinned inside the tailstock. The barrel just has a acme nut(round) pinned inside of it. That type of setup is very "do"able by anyone. For $125 if I was nearby I'd buy it and I already have two lathes.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

To me ; The old machines have a soul ,just like I feel history in the Garand I love so much. I also would give it a good caring home. Just aint right letting it waste away.

Maybe the Amish Mafia could help with transport? I'm not sure how to contact Lancaster Levi though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I wonder how far off scrap prices that is, it'd be a shame to melt it down. I know what you mean Bradrock, my oldest machine was built in the 1890's and it still works. It's apart right now for a good cleaning and replacings the felts and 1 bushing before a new coat of paint.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I'm running a South Bend 405, 9 x 36 Early 1930's

And a cool little Atlas horizontal mill

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

There was a HUGE South Bend on Ebay not long ago for scrap prices & it was indoors being used still. Over at Ypsi .. I tried & lost. Thought I could do drive shafts on it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The nice ones always tend to pop up when I don't check for a few days or can't go get them. Occasionally I get lucky. I've got a 1953 Sheldon 12x36 (it's actually a 13") enco 9x20, HF green mill drill and a 1890 E.E. Garvin horizontal mill. The two imports came first, and will be replaced with old iron as time and funds allows.

Feedback Score

Someone snagged that toasty SB lathe already !!! Had that been a local AZ listing it would be sitting on my covered apartment patio. The CL listing is down.
    I like machinetools also. I own 5 lathes and two mills. They are a lot like cool guns. One can never have enough !!!

By the way that thing on the tailstock was a lever feed for drilling, tapping, etc. It is an accessory item and is removeable if so desired.

VD in AZ
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 01-04-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.