Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Table

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Rotary Table

I need a rotary table and I will be running it vertically.

I was think a 4-6" table with a 3"-4" 4 jaw chuck would be perfect, because most of what I do would be .5" to 1" in diameter.

The biggest question I have is, should I get a tilting one? I'm running it on a Bridgeport, so I could tilt the head, but I think it would be easier to just tilt the rotary table.

Any advice or one sitting in the shop you don't need?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you think you're going to need to work at an angle, get the rotary table with the angle. Retramming the mill head is a hassle I try to avoid.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Why not a dividing head? Many come with a chuck already, and they will do angles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's mine with a 6" chuck. It's a universal dividing head that can be set up to do spiral flutes/gears ect. It has a 40:1 ratio so each turn of the handle has 9 degrees of rotation. You can set up quick index plates behind the chuck (there's a 36 hole one on it) or use the index plates on the side. The head tilts also. You can get smaller semi-universal ones off of ebay for around $350-$400. If you plan to make reamers or flute barrels you will also want a tailstock for it, Mine is hiding behide the chuck in the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moleman; 01-07-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Here's mine with a 6" chuck. It's a universal dividing head that can be set up to do spiral flutes/gears ect. It has a 40:1 ratio so each turn of the handle has 9 degrees of rotation. You can set up quick index plates behind the chuck (there's a 36 hole one on it) or use the index plates on the side. The head tilts also. You can get smaller semi-universal ones off of ebay for around $350-$400. If you plan to make reamers or flute barrels you will also want a tailstock for it, Mine is hiding behide the chuck in the pic.
    I'm open to that, I mostly want it for these bolt heads I'm making which is just a shaft with lugs. Would a Universal dividing head work good for that?

I guess the ability to make gears is worth the extra money.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    If you think you're going to need to work at an angle, get the rotary table with the angle. Retramming the mill head is a hassle I try to avoid.
    I agree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    I'm open to that, I mostly want it for these bolt heads I'm making which is just a shaft with lugs. Would a Universal dividing head work good for that?

I guess the ability to make gears is worth the extra money.
    You can make gears with either kind, but the universal has a gear drive off the back so that you can tie it into your x-axis on the mill table to cut spirals or helical gears. That also translates into more $ for the dividing head for a feature you may never use. I lucked out and found mine for $300 in excellent condition with very little use with a back plate, but no chuck. I found new 6" chucks from $100 on up, and ended up getting one for a little over $300, so I have $600 in mine. Shars/discount machine has a standard dividing head with a back plate for $350 and lists a 4"3-jaw for another $70. It has a 40:1 ratio and comes with a couple dividing plates. The head tilts between horizontal and vertical. BS 0 Dividing Head Plates Milling Set Tail Head Stock | eBay I was looking at getting it or the next size up with a 5" chuck when I ran across the bigger unit.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

molemans advise is good. I use my dividing head/ rig more than any other tool /vise in the shop. Easy to set up and your imagination is your only limitation. I have fixtures made up to cut checkering on Gov model frames. The head makes that a easy job. shars unit has served me well . The rotary table get some use but I prefer the dividing head...Pat

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

That's a sweet looking unit there on Ebay. I wish they would put something in the picture to help judge the size. I've been looking for a dividing head & tailstock for my little Atlas horizontal mill.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Hello Brad,
    That is a very nice looking Atlas-Craftsman bench mill !!! I wish I still had mine. They are more rigid than the small chicom vertical mills popular these days. They also had power-feed tables.

For an indexing device small enough for the Atlas table check with the Little Machine Shop (Tooling, parts, and accessories for bench top machinists - LittleMachineShop.com ), 800-981-9663 in Pasadena, CA. They have a very small indexing head and several tiny rotary tables, horizontal/vertical (4 inch size).

VD in AZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.