Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $99 HF wire welder?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea a know a gas wire welder is better but overkill for my tinkering. i ain't restoring fine cars --more like patching up old thin crafstman mower decks that my 220/amp-220v lincon burns up--LOL

that old lincon i can weld all the heavy duty stuff --it is the thin shit it don't like --

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I think a mower deck should be heavy enough for this welder

I wonder if that $99.oo Harbor Freight MIG can be modified to use CO2 gas ??? Only the Chinese know ????
    I think by the time you buy everything needed you'd be better off buying their actual MIG machine, I've seen the one go on sale for under 200
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

hell i ordered a drill press today. i am gonna hold off on the welder.

the sale supposedly ends sunday but today the sent me a new sale paper with the welder in it for the same price--

so i can put it off till i decide what to do bout it.

no hurry cause it will be a while before i start dragging mowers out of the scrap pile--

Tig Welder Extraordinaire zapster's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I have one of those welders..
    Going on 15 years now..

Problems.
    1..the rollers and spring assy is NOT "tight" enough to push the wire if the gun liner is not straight..
    I use a small "C" clamp on mine..

2..The gun sucks.

3..If you are not into troubleshooting the gun itself you are in for trouble..
    had mine apart many many times..

4..DO NOT USE A EXTENSION CORD!!!!you will trip the inside breaker in no time and cooling down time to reset the machine sucks..The duty cycle is next to zero..

5.."Birdnests"...If you don't know what a birdsnest is when it comes to mig welding you will soon enough..
    That's when the feed IS working and the wire does not come out the end..Just look inside.

6..The copper cover end is always LIVE!! You don't need to press the trigger so don't touch it against anything you don't want a weld mark on..And you will.

7 The "Mask" it comes with SUCKS...in plain easy to understand english.

Positives..
    It will get you out of a jam when needed..And that's about it.

These are NOT for ANYTHING structural!!!!!!
    I know guys that claim to have welded trailer hitches with these and all I can say is "Stay Away From Me"..and "I Hope Your Liability Insurance Is Up To Date"...

Take this from a true PROFESSIONAL in the welding field.

It's more of a toy than anything.

...zap!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    I have one of those welders..
    Going on 15 years now..

Problems.
    1..the rollers and spring assy is NOT "tight" enough to push the wire if the gun liner is not straight..
    I use a small "C" clamp on mine..

2..The gun sucks.

3..If you are not into troubleshooting the gun itself you are in for trouble..
    had mine apart many many times..

4..DO NOT USE A EXTENSION CORD!!!!you will trip the inside breaker in no time and cooling down time to reset the machine sucks..The duty cycle is next to zero..

5.."Birdnests"...If you don't know what a birdsnest is when it comes to mig welding you will soon enough..
    That's when the feed IS working and the wire does not come out the end..Just look inside.

6..The copper cover end is always LIVE!! You don't need to press the trigger so don't touch it against anything you don't want a weld mark on..And you will.

7 The "Mask" it comes with SUCKS...in plain easy to understand english.

Positives..
    It will get you out of a jam when needed..And that's about it.

These are NOT for ANYTHING structural!!!!!!
    I know guys that claim to have welded trailer hitches with these and all I can say is "Stay Away From Me"..and "I Hope Your Liability Insurance Is Up To Date"...

Take this from a true PROFESSIONAL in the welding field.

It's more of a toy than anything.

...zap!
    now that is what i wanted to know--

i think i'll pass on the china doll welding machine--

Tig Welder Extraordinaire zapster's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    now that is what i wanted to know--

i think i'll pass on the china doll welding machine--

Smart move.

If you really want a 110V MIG get a Lincoln or Miller.
    Those you can change over to gas if you don't want to mess with fluxcore..

Nuf said!

...zap!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Yep, Zaps welding advice gets a little expensive don't it?

Sage advice Zapster, and we do appreciate it. Spending money and wasting it are 2 different things.

I ended up going with a Lincoln w/ gas set-up. I spent almost $700 but this little thing is a monster in disguise. I tried to buy the Hobart at TSC but the customer service sucked so bad I ended up at Home depot.

Feedback Score

I just received a GF ad yesterday and they had 2 diffrent types of welders on sale one was a stick welder and the other onw was a wire feed we;der both are under under bucks ya cant go wrong with that...Doc

Feedback Score

Default Re Drill Press

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    hell i ordered a drill press today. i am gonna hold off on the welder.

the sale supposedly ends sunday but today the sent me a new sale paper with the welder in it for the same price--

so i can put it off till i decide what to do bout it.

no hurry cause it will be a while before i start dragging mowers out of the scrap pile--
    Where did you get your drill press at and what model and the price if you dont mind me asking ,,,Thanks...Doc

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dcholl View Post
    Where did you get your drill press at and what model and the price if you dont mind me asking ,,,Thanks...Doc

it is the 5 speed bench top model 1/3 hp -- it is the one they show in their $59 sale paper --be aware though the one shown is not the one in the sale, the $59 DP is an older model with plastic pulleys or so i have been told. if you order the $59 DP call and make SURE of the one that is on sale. and that is the one you want.

the one i got was on sale a while back for $10 more #60238 it has iron pulleys. the run out on mine seems OK so far, i haven't used it too much yet--

china quality! you got to love it! LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.