Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sieg X2 mini mill

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rikoshay View Post
    I put the air spring on the left side of the column (outside).
    I don't know if that will be an option for Me, that is where my DRO is going. I'll have a better idea later when they get here.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I may do a belt drive somewhere down the line, but since I am swapping out the gears in the gear box for metal ones, I kinda like the idea of keeping the plastic intermediate gear as sort of a "shear pin"

Here is a set of plans for a belt drive conversion.
    Projects 6

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Don't even bother to turn your new X2 on. Just start taking it apart, all the way down, to remove the Chinese cosmoline, dirt, swarf, cigarette butts, dead animals, etc. that might be lurking in the hidden places.

You *must* "tram" the headstock to the table, or you'll get crooked holes and scalloped cuts. It may be a new thing if you haven't used a mill before, but it's not rocket surgery.

Getting the gibs properly snugged can be a hassle. It pays to use Dykem or felt tip on the gibs and both dovetails, just
    to make sure they're making proper contact.

The major limit on the stock X2 is the very short Y axis travel. With a little work you can increase it quite a bit. Search "extended Y travel" on CNCzone.

A plain old Harbor Freight 4" drill press vise is low profile and fits the X2's work envelope nicely. The newer vises are only partially machined now, but squaring one up is an easy job with the X2.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Don't even bother to turn your new X2 on. Just start taking it apart, all the way down, to remove the Chinese cosmoline, dirt, swarf, cigarette butts, dead animals, etc. that might be lurking in the hidden places.
    That is exactly what I intend to do. The tracking info says it will be delivered on 3/14. I will tear it down immediately and reassemble it with the upgraded parts that I have been collecting while waiting for the mill to come off back order.

I had found this while I was researching info.
    Homier Mill Review - page 1

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

For the DROs, check out eBay too, I've seen ones like you posted on there
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post

The major limit on the stock X2 is the very short Y axis travel. With a little work you can increase it quite a bit. Search "extended Y travel" on CNCzone.
    Yeah, the 4" Y axis is a little limited, but I mainly want this for receiver and barrel work. I can't think of an application where 4" wouldn't be enough.

LMS offers a kit to increase it to a little over 5" if needed. But, I also have access to some full size equipment if I need to do a big job.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You can do temendous things with an X2 if you are creative and determined enough to do it.

I clamped a Chevy 5.3L aluminum oil pan to the teeny tiny table and used a slitting saw to cut the sump off. Had to reposition it a few times to get it cut all the way around.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Great ingenuity, I love the way you re-purposed the caliper piston.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Found a pic of my poor man's belt drive. I broke the gears on my mill and had to come up with something simple in order to get back to work.

My plan was to build one of the fancy belt drive platforms once my mill was working again, but that was 2 years ago. It's made of 2 peices of angle iron bolted to the top of the head to form a "tray" that the motor cradle can ride in. The pic's were taken before I added bolts to tighten the cradle to the tray.

A tip on the set-up; the belt doesn't need a lot of tension in order to work. On the first belt I tightened it up just like you would an engine belt. As soon as I turned it on the belt flipped over on it's side and refused to run within the V grooves of the pulleys. After going through 2 belts I left it a little bit loose, and that was over a year ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Didn't notice any reduction of Noise by switching to the belt drive.

Had read that the X2 is "extremely noisey" with gears and switching to a belt drive makes it much quieter. Not the case with mine, didn't really think it was noisey to begin with.

I consider a HF 4" grinder "noisey" and very loud, so would give it a 10 on the scale. The X2 is about a #4 on that scale.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

harbor freight mini mill 44991 dro readout

is a grizzly g8689 same as sieg x2 mill

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.