Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sieg X2 mini mill

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Sieg X2 mini mill

The Sieg X2 mini mill is known by many names. Grizzly G8689, Harbor freight 44991, little machine shop 3900, Micro mark 84630 as well as models formerly offered by Central tool, Homier and Cummins. They are all the same mill with a few small variations. The most important of which is whether it comes equiped with a R-8 or MT-3 spindle. The R-8 is the preferred spindle due to the fact that there is more and cheaper tooling available for it.

These are nice little mills for small work, right out of the box, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. The purpose of this thread is to discuss these mods. Searching the net I have found many great threads dedicated to hotrodding these mills. One of the best sites is Tooling, parts, and accessories for bench top machinists - LittleMachineShop.com

This site is all about mini mills and lathes. They offer a ton of reference material as well as stock and upgraded parts.
    reference section
    Reference - LittleMachineShop.com

I have ordered from them several times. great service and same day shipping

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The biggest Achilles heel regarding the accuracy of these machines is the column attachment point. The column is designed to tilt 45 degrees both left and right. To accomplish this the attachment is limited to one big bolt in the center of the column, not solid enough for really precision work.
    This seems to be the problem that most owners tackle first. About 2/3rds of the way down this page, you will find several different approaches to remedy this.
    Shop Info

Here is a detailed thread on this mod.
    Reducing Mini-Mill Column Flex (and Column Y-Axis Alignment) - Home Model Engine Machinist

And another.
    SX2 Mini Mill Modifications - Mutiple Pictures - Home Model Engine Machinist

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I will be adding an air spring conversion to eliminate the factory torsion bar set up and DROs to all 3 axis as soon as everything shows up. I already have a set of metal gears for the gear box, I will be swapping those out at the same time.
    I'll post some pics once I get underway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Excellent resources.

I have done quite a few of the mods including a home made belt drive. Will have to take pic's of my poor mans belt drive.

Filled the column with Engine Block filler, found on eBay for about $14.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have seen posts where they have added different substances such as that and epoxy granite etc to increase the column rigidity. I may look into that, but I don't know if I will be able to add much once I install the air spring since it attaches inside the column.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rikoshay View Post
    Excellent resources.

I have done quite a few of the mods including a home made belt drive. Will have to take pic's of my poor mans belt drive.

Filled the column with Engine Block filler, found on eBay for about $14.
    Kinda hard to tell from the pic. Does your plate tie into the base or is it just used to preload the Z axis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I put the air spring on the left side of the column (outside). Saw this mod on the Yahoo Mini Mill group.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yes, the base was drilled and tapped and has 2 peices of 3/8" allthread. There is a nut on each side of the plate so that I can adjust the column front/rear.

I made my own pulleys for the belt drive and used an old brake caliper piston from my Corvette for the motor pulley.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

harbor freight mini mill 44991 dro readout

is a grizzly g8689 same as sieg x2 mill

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.