Thread: Harbor Freight Spot Welder!

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Default Harbor Freight Spot Welder!

Guys;
    I spent an hours drive to the local Harbor Freight store to pick up a pair of bolt cutters, a 12 ton press, and a spot welder. Press was sold out and the 20 ton was $250.00, so no go there. Bolt cutters and welder were a do!

My question is on the 230 volt spot welder. I can't adjust the handle on the spot welder to firmly grip the receiver and bottom rail and lock at the same time without the tongs starting to bend. The instructions are somewhat vague on handle position upon locking so as not to blow out a spot weld. Do you have to lock the handle or can you just hold good pressure on it? Also they say the plug is supplied, but my box was sealed from the factory and no plug. What gives?

I am one of the Yugo buyers and need this to finish all of them. Anybody with so experiance can chime in to give me a hand.

Feedback Score

You can just hold good pressure on it. I have 115volt and it works great. Just ask the guys that came to the GA Build Party.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I will try your method, I am going to change the lower tong with one that is modified to fit into the receiver and I will just hold pressure on it as you recommend to see how well it works.

I think the only difference between the voltage models is just the power supply. I paid less for a 230 volt unit than a 115 volt unit as it was on sale!
    Thanks for the input!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbadboyz
    You can just hold good pressure on it. I have 115volt and it works great. Just ask the guys that came to the GA Build Party.

Feedback Score

It just depends on the metal for the length of time to hold. At the build party I started with a 3 count and by the end of the night it was around 6-7 count. I had to file some of the tip to get it back down to the 3-4 second hold because of some build up.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

220 uses different plugs depending on the amperage of the outlet.
    that is probably why they don't include it.

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just remember that the 220V model welds faster than the 110V model. I bump the switch several times to get the proper weld. Holding the switch for several seconds will put a "ventilation" hole in your receiver.
    gtbehary........ ak builder, hack machinist, nuclear worker and violin huckster!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I have yet to weld up the rails in a receiver, but a few practise welds on Stainless Steel and carbon steel impressed me. The Stainless Steel was 316 washers and each weld lasted 1 second as the metal started to get really red at the point of the weld and all around it. Carbon steel did the same thing. I can see that not paying attention to what you are doing with this welder can burn holes through your project!

Harbor Freight in Ocala put their 20 ton press on sale this week for $169.00 so I picked up one of those to finish out my tool purchases. Now its off to build those kits that are waiting to go to the range!

It just depends on the metal for the length of time to hold. At the build party I started with a 3 count and by the end of the night it was around 6-7 count. I had to file some of the tip to get it back down to the 3-4 second hold because of some build up.

Feedback Score

Well, now that you have all the tools, good luck! Did you pick up the barrel puller? Its a pulley puller part #25190 from autozone. Used in a vise is the best way for removing barrels.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Well now,
    I have not tried that Idea, but have used the BFH method with good results to date. Some older pennies worked perfectly at diffusing the blow on the breech so as not to damage it. I was going to use the new press, the same 5/8" modified hex bolt, another old penny and a plate that I made up at work to push out the barrel of the rest of the demills that I am looking at right now. I could be wrong, but I think it will work right for me with zero damage to the breech face.

Well, now that you have all the tools, good luck! Did you pick up the barrel puller? Its a pulley puller part #25190 from autozone. Used in a vise is the best way for removing barrels.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.