Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Modifications to the HF 20 ton press

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Modifications to the HF 20 ton press

First, I have to give credit for this modification to NN4S of WG fame, it was his genius that came up with the idea, and only my copying of it, here are two videos of the before and after results

The before sloppy version

View My Video

The after tight version

View My Video

A few still pictures

Now as to how I did it, I ordered 12ea 1/4-20 1/2 ball ended thrust screws from McMaster Carr stock # 91677A106. They are not cheap at $3.40 each. Then I used a #7 drill and drill holes in the areas indicated in the videos and taped them with a 1/4 x20 NC tap, the steel in these presses are like butter and I was able to tap all 12 holes in under 45 min.

I then placed the screws in the holes and using a small nut to lock them in place, screwed them in just until they contacted the vertical portions of the frame. The bearings allow it to slide up and down with zero play and hardly any resistance. BTW, I did place a drop of oil on each of the bearings. I will take some close up photos tomorrow as my camera battery just 86ed on me

Any questions let me know. Good luck
    Last edited by Chiroone; 07-27-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Pretty neat idea. Thanks to both you and NN4S.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

We had a press at work that was pretty dam sloppy too and what I did on that one was to install a thin piece of Teflon material inside the "shoe" part that slid on the up right and took up the gap. I also did it to the bottom cross piece that you press upon to take care of play on that end. I did that 15-18 years ago and when I stopped to visit a week or so ago, someone was using it and it's still in use and still going strong with no slop yet.

So there's 1 other alternate method to try out sense eventually the set screws will cut a gouge in the press frame if you use it allot,,,for the average Joe,,it's no big deal, but at the marina where it is used almost on a production level basis, it would be more of a wear issue using the bolts/set screws bearing on the bare steel. #2 way around that,the thick Teflon chair leg feet , they look like little discs, ,counter bored slightly with a Fornister bit to accept the bolt face and enough to keep them in place,,a nice quite ,smooth , wear free sliders,,,,,,and available off the shelf at most any decent hardware store ,,cheap. And they would still be adjustable to take up the slop to the level you wish.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

im gonna watch these at home and do it, cause i just got one of those 20ton presses... thanx!!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Years ago I watched a video where a guy installed rollers on each side trapped between flats to control movement.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

This is just one answer, there are quite a few others, the first one I tried involved epoxying some copper plates, but I think the ram section channels are not square, so that failed. So far, with only occasional use, this one looks like it will serve me well.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Do you have a link to those thrust screws?
    I tried shimming mine up but it works loose after a few uses.
    Thanks for posting this
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There just a cap screw with a nut,,nothing fancy at all ,that you can get most any place and most I've seen are at least grade 6-8.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

zteknik; here you go- McMaster-Carr

And there are not just a cap screw, they have a ball bearing crimped to the front, I have not been able to find them any place else other than McMaster, even Grainger does not carry them.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est

Feedback Score

Gotcha Chiroone! Set screws with a swaged bearing. I think I quoted those back in the day and the price is good. Actually very good and the idea is better. Thanks. I've only got the 12 ton HF press but i think it still applies. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.