Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hot Boxing with Corpsie

Feedback Score

i have a buddy of mine who made something similar to dry his gunstocks..he has 2 regular lightbulbs in it..a 40w and a 150w..he turns on both bulbs to get it up to temp and then turns off the 150..the 40w keeps the box right around 100 degrees for drying...so if you build one with a 500w halogen it should be more than enough to get the temps you want..
    you got to kill it to grill it...Ted Nugent

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SangRun Hunter
    It would be plenty to bake cosmo out of a wood stock. 140-160 degrees has worked well for me. I stick them in a bag wrapped in plastic and paper towels inside of my extra car during the summer. I won't have that extra car much longer, so a small oven would be nice.
    If you want to imitate that and have a backyard where people won't go and steal stuff, just make a black painted box. It'll get plenty hot with the sun.
    It's innocent until proven guilty no matter how much you hate the present or future defendant.
    At 15.05 posts per day, can we really call Custer "Moderate"? - Bluedog

Feedback Score

My garage air temp is around 63 deg F right now and the in "hot box" temp is 80 F after ~30 minutes of being on at 500watts.

Pictures

There are pictures of: flattening a duct, the "hot box" completed showing one clamp which holds two sides together and the "hot box" in operation

Temp Status
    1:50pm: 63 F
    2:00pm : 71 F
    2:30pm: 83 F
    3:00pm: 86 F (covered all the gaps wtih duct tape)
    It's innocent until proven guilty no matter how much you hate the present or future defendant.

Feedback Score

Well I just took the UV shield off of the light and used heavy-duty tinfoil to cover the door opening. Hopefully this will help it beat the 90 deg F air temp mark.

Feedback Score

After adding insulation to the walls and removing the UV shield the "hot box" reached 120 deg F.

I'll probably build an insulated platform for this bad boy to sit on. I imagine a lot of heat was going into the concrete.

Feedback Score

Update: You can use "flashing" instead of flattening out a duct. I saw a roll of flashing for $34 which was 20" wide by 50' long. The only thing you'll have to do is seal the seams between the flashing pieces. Aluminum tape or metal mend is good for that.

Using small ceramic space heater, the box reaches 140 F (last time I measured) with a constant flow of fresh air. Unlike with using the UV light, I wouldn't leave this unattended or on overnight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.