Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot Boxing with Corpsie

Feedback Score

Default Hot Boxing with Corpsie

I've been developing a way to make a device which could safely heat a firearm to 100F minimum and hopefully get near 200F.

Requirements
    1. Lots of air space
    2. Don't take up lots of room when not in use
    3. Safe
    4. Electric heat only

Status so far: I'm using 1.5" x 1.5" x 8' studs for the frame. For the walls I'm using heating duct material 5' tube that is ~26" in circumference. I unrolled the duct material and stretched it out on the frame using decking screws (#6 x 1"). This will make up the 4 walls, which are all made separately to be non-permenantly attached later.

A 2' x 2' piece of wood will rest on the top of the walls with an eye-bolt hanging to suspend the firearms and parts. The eye bolt is attached loosely using large washers and 2 nuts to lock each other in place. This allows the eye-bolt to swivel.

Heating: The heat source will be a 500W halogen shop light. My friend uses them to heat candle gel to ~300+ degrees F, so this should radiate enough heat to meet the box's temperature requirements.

Anywho, that's the status so far. Hopefully I'll be testing it within a month. My first experiment will be to sweat the nasty cosmo out of a Yugo SKS.
    It's innocent until proven guilty no matter how much you hate the present or future defendant.
    At 15.05 posts per day, can we really call Custer "Moderate"? - Bluedog

Feedback Score

simple find a female elephant with a hot bot :X sorry but someone had to pun your "hot box"

Gunco Regular Thumb Clip Pull Pin's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Sounds good so far. How are you going to regulate the heat?

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Feedback Score

To regulate the heat I can:
    1. Move the light into or out of the box
    2. Allow more heat to escape from the top.

Most likely I'll let hot air escape so that fumes don't build up.
    It's innocent until proven guilty no matter how much you hate the present or future defendant.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Use a dimmer switch for the regulator like those halogen torch lamps use. You can pick up a dimmer wall switch at home depot for a few bucks. If you have a modern digital volt meter like I do they take temp reading as well. Find out what temp is at different settings and mark your switch.

Now I have a good idea on building a cosmo sweating oven which it much better than my kerosene heater and 6 inch duct work.

BTW: Duct work is a great way to build something like this and you can do double wall, so the outside doesn't get too hot.

Feedback Score

I'm no expert in metallurgy or thermo dynamics, but it seems to me steel dissipates much more heat than candle gel....may need a larger heat source.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aviator
    I'm no expert in metallurgy or thermo dynamics, but it seems to me steel dissipates much more heat than candle gel....may need a larger heat source.
    It would be plenty to bake cosmo out of a wood stock. 140-160 degrees has worked well for me. I stick them in a bag wrapped in plastic and paper towels inside of my extra car during the summer. I won't have that extra car much longer, so a small oven would be nice.

The ducting could get wrapped in insulation as well.

Here's a good garage made coating oven for the guns

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/heater/heater1.html

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus
    I SAW ONE SOMEPLACE THAT USES A HEAT GUN ON THE SAME PRINCIPIL AND HE USES THE HIGH AND POW SETTINGS FOR THE HEAT CONTROL. I THINK IT WAS LIKE 300 ON LOW AND 650 ON HIGH.
    The problem with that is that the heat gun generates around 750 deg F and that's not too safe to leave unmonitored for any period of time.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Sounds like a good way to cure those specialty paints also. I picked up a used toaster oven cheap at a garage sale and I thought about cutting a hole in one end and then using duct work to lengthen it.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score

Grendeljaeger,

Curing speciality paints is my main motivation. If it works, I'll be able to apply lighter layers and have them dry and cure faster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.