Thread: Help on titanium nitride drill bits.

Feedback Score

Question Help on titanium nitride drill bits.

Our local big discount chain has a drill bit set that caught my eye. It is every fractional drill bit up to 1/2 inch, every letter drill bit, every numbered drill bit and every metric drill bit. And they are all titanium nitride coated (the gold color). It is selling for $42. Should I buy it? Is it a good price?

I already have high speed steel numbered bits, and most fractional. I just bought a couple of nitride bits for the AK build.

What do you think? I already have daydreams about it. Wow, that gold!
    Am I ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Most of those cheap sets like that are imported junk, the steel used is too soft and they dull quickly. The TiN coating may help a get a little more life out of them, but you really do get what you pay for with cutting tools and drill bits. Adding $100 to your budget would get you a GOOD complete index set of plain HSS bits.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

good advice so far. if I were you i'd take that money and invest in a drill doctor.

Feedback Score

I bought a BUNCH of Cobalt bits in several letters for a build. Now I have like 2 dozen of each size. I probably should sell them off since I got so darn many.

I think I have "I" and 2 other sizes. These are Cobalt HSS, point drills.

Feedback Score

I bought a cheap set of titanium nitride drill bits from harbor freight and have been very pleased with them you just have to know their limitations. They are not soft but just the opposite they will break very easy. I work with tools for a living and while these will not do the day in day out drilling jobs of a pro they do seem to work for the occasional use. I bought them so I had every size I could possibly need but still use my good bits for the day to day use and the Hf one?s when I need the odd size.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I would agree with alfajim. I also own a set of HF titanium nitride bits, while not as nice as US made, they are great for us "shade tree" gunsmiths. They are worth the money {when on sale!}

Gunco Regular Thumb Clip Pull Pin's Avatar
    Feedback Score

You might find that the drills do not perform as well once you grind the TiN off of them!

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Feedback Score

I bought a set of those titanium nitride bits, and burnt the ends up pretty quickly working on a buggy project. I decided to relegate those to wood duty and found a set of Neiko cobalt bits on ebay for a pretty good price. I was amazed at the difference between the sets. I only have a 29 pc set, but they work great in metal.

Feedback Score

Arrow

I didn't buy 'em.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.