Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Here's my rendition of the 555th style flat bending jig

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thumbs up Here's my rendition of the 555th style flat bending jig

I've been working on a way to make these jigs a few at a time. Right now I'm trying to decide the best way to make the base for the main part of the jig to slide in. The materials used in the pictures is all cold roll steel which has a nicer finish and should be a little harder than hot roll. That also means it's more expensive than hot rolled steel.

What I would need to know is how many people would want the cold rolled style base like I'm showing or use the hot rolled angle iron base like the original 555th jig. I think to make the newer one work better it will need a base and some gussets to keep the middle from expanding. It would probably be a good idea to do something similar on the angle iron base also.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Lookin' Good!!!!

Feedback Score

I'm interested in a cold rolled steel version, have a ballpark on what they may run? Taipan
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Looks good Curtis, nice job.

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Super jig....and workmanship!!!!
    gtbehary........ ak builder, hack machinist, nuclear worker and violin huckster!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I'm thinking in the $125 range for everything in the cold rolled steel. The base in the pictures was made of 1/4" and 3/8" might be the way to go. The cold rolled steel definately has a nicer finish though.

There is another mod I want to do to each jig to keep the flat from twisting when it goes into the base at first. I tried the 1/4" bottom piece at the same width as the inside of the base, but it looks like there needs to be a 1/2" or so piece that needs to be put on each end of the lower plate. That should keep it from wanting to tilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I'd be interested in one!! Nice work and great pics.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I just ordered the 3/8" flat bar for the bases so I should be able to get some of these out the door on Wednesday or Thursday. The 1/4" base should be fine if it's either clamped on the outide with a c-clamp to keep it from spreading or drill a hole through the two plates and put a bolt through them. That would only be needed for the first part of the bend. Otherwise it would need some kind of base and gussets that would be more material.. more weight and more time.

I'm doing all of the main work on my milling machine so everything is turning out real nice. It is definately quite a bit of work, but if I can break it up into a set of parts each day it won't be so bad.

Feedback Score

Very Cool!

I like the 'step by step' pics that show you exactly how the jig is to be setup and used.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gtbehary
    Super jig....and workmanship!!!!

You pretty much summed it up!

Mark

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

555th jig

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.