Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot welder lower tong mods

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

the mods look great. Now to bad there isn't a place to rent a spot welder from. I don't think harbor freight would let me buy one, modify, then return it after I'm done .

Feedback Score

On a 115 volt spot welder, how long do you think I should hold the trigger for? 3-4 Seconds?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I know this is an old post but I want to thank 7.62X39 for those pictures! Just finished the mods a few minutes ago to my spot welder, and now it looks just like those pics. Although i don't have a milling machine so i used a angle grinder, worked fine. I made one test weld it came out better than perfect LOL so i stopped there for the night.

Tommorow i'll bend a flat and try that spot welder out properly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have a chance to pick up a used spot welder that does not have any tongs on it. Since I want to modify them anyway what would be the best/cheapest place/way to get a set of tongs setup this way. Can I just buy copper rod and bend it or would it be cheaper to have someone on the board make me a set? I don't have the spot welder yet so I'm just getting information at this point. If I have to buy new tongs what can I expect to pay for them?

Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said, "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by fal_shooter
    I have a chance to pick up a used spot welder that does not have any tongs on it. Since I want to modify them anyway what would be the best/cheapest place/way to get a set of tongs setup this way. Can I just buy copper rod and bend it or would it be cheaper to have someone on the board make me a set? I don't have the spot welder yet so I'm just getting information at this point. If I have to buy new tongs what can I expect to pay for them?

$34.99 for a set of replacement tongs at harbor freight. Both the regular and wide throat are the same price.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

A 5/8"X12" copper bar runs $10 at Mcmaster-Carr.
    The tips are designed to be replaceable and should be available from a local welding supply house.

Feedback Score

Just ordered a 115v spot welder from HF today.
    Also ordered a replacement lower tong for $12.96 (#27197-0ZZA) and a pair of replacement tips for $1.29 each (#27198-0ZZA).

Thanks for the post and pictures.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Well, it looks like I am going to need to get serious about the tong mod since I just picked up a 220 Chicago Electric spot welder on ebay for $64.00.
    Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said, "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

Feedback Score

Just posted on the classfied page modified lower Tongs for for sale as per 762x39's specification.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthre...5739#post55739

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

If anyone had one regular tong they would like to sell send me a PM. I bought a spot welder on EBay and it did not have any tongs. I bought one of the modified tongs listed here but I am still one short. I don't want to buy a full replacement set if I can get by cheaper since I only need one tong. If you replace yours with one of these and you now have one spare let me know.

Thanks

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.