Gunco Forums banner

Spot welder lower tong mods

23K views 64 replies 33 participants last post by  jdsndrs 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the way I modified my lower tong to fit inside the receiver.

I bought a 5/8" x 1' copper rod from Mcmaster-Carr (#8966K221)

Tip thread size is 8x1.25mm

The top cut is .230 deep and .735 long.
The bottom cut is .150 deep X 5.500 long.
Then cut it to length to match the upper tong.

This allows full access to the inside of the receiver, even with both rails in place.

Attachments

See less See more
#54 ·
Ok just to set the record straight Aluminum is an exellent choice for makeing a lower tong.

Which is why I made the lower tong for my spotwelder out of aluminum.

Aluminum wire is currently used in construction both in residential and commercial work, as long as all of the connections and breakers are listed ALCU and an anti oxidizing agent is used on it.

The difference in resistance for MCM 600, which is .626 in\2, .001" bigger than 5\8 round stock.

copper .0223 ohms per 1000 feet
aluminum .0353 ohms per 1000 feet

For a tong less than 1 foot just move the decimal point 3 places to the left.

copper is a better heat conductor than aluminum, but not that much better most heat sinks are aluminum.

5/8 round aluminum with a tweeko tip I cut the threads off of and pressed into a hole I drilled in the aluminum works great.

Soon as I figure out how to post a pic I'll put one up.

Ok got it

and yep licensed electrician

Attachments

#62 ·
I tried using tubing, 1/2 inch soft copper from the hardware store was too springy. I bought a same length of 3/8 inch and slipped it inside. It works well. I reused the tip of the HF spot welder, but if I were to do it again I think I'd use MIG tips.

Better would be a length of Type M hard copper tubing, if you have a plumbing supply in your town they should be able to fix you up.

#63 ·
I found a guy that sells that same tong on another forum for less than I could I could make it for.
I bought one and it works, which was a surprise to me.
But this tong really works; AK Hunter1 says it is hard copper tubing with heavy copper cable inside. And it has a
MIG welder tip that is replaceable.
He sells extra tips too. Here is the link.

The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums - WTS Spot Welder Tong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.