Gunco Forums banner

Paint oven

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  cal50 
#1 ·
I was on this SITE looking for an oven so that my wife will quit complaining about my use of the kitchen when finishing a weapon. Does anyone have any plans or thoughts on building a curing oven? I may save a marriage (just kidding) but at least my food may taste better. Jack

#3 ·
Buy a cheap secondary oven and keep it in the garage.
You could pick one up for around $50-$100 bucks. After your done baking your guns, ask your wife if she would like to borrow it some time to make some cookies while dinner is being cooked in her oven. LOL

#4 ·
mbadboyz said:
Buy a cheap secondary oven and keep it in the garage.
You could pick one up for around $50-$100 bucks. After your done baking your guns, ask your wife if she would like to borrow it some time to make some cookies while dinner is being cooked in her oven. LOL

Yea but if you check out the one in the picture I posted it looks like that would not be to hard to make. You could use a heat plate for the heat source. What I am still trying to figure out is the damper, any ideas. Come one George, Pookie, Max, Cephus, Rhino, Hotbarrel etc. Jack

#8 ·
Well the first time I ever got some of Norell's Moly Resin he sent me plans for making one out of an old school locker. I never came up with a locker that was the right dimensions for it, but the general idea involved using the elements out of one or two toaster ovens to make what you needed. It looked entirely viable and was much akin to the set up that Sang Run posted. Same idea only you do not have to get a dimmer switch as the oven has one and a thermostat too. Another option is the electric smokers you see for sale at places like Wally World. They seem to go for around $150.00-$200.00. Seems like a perfectly good waste of a smoker though, I like to smoke and BBQ ALMOST as much as I like to build guns and shoot. :D :D

#9 ·
I saw where a guy had fabricated an oven out of an old gun cabinet. He had used a fan at the bottom to blow a slow breeze over a heating elemet (had it elevated from the floor with an air supply). He hung hooks inside from the top to suspend the work at different positions. He had it vented with double wall tubing (basically a hot water heater vent pipe) thru the top back side of the cabinet thru the wall outside. (all fumes go with it).
there was some insulation on the outside to prevent burns, like the aluminum coted fiberglass around ovens. It looked decent and was controlled with a thermostat.

I thought about something like that for my old gun cabinet, but I live by myself and have only turned on the oven to heat rifles anyway.......

I suppose a surplus "locker" would be the cheapest way........

#10 ·
Rule .308 said:
Well the first time I ever got some of Norell's Moly Resin he sent me plans for making one out of an old school locker. I never came up with a locker that was the right dimensions for it, but the general idea involved using the elements out of one or two toaster ovens to make what you needed. It looked entirely viable and was much akin to the set up that Sang Run posted. Same idea only you do not have to get a dimmer switch as the oven has one and a thermostat too. Another option is the electric smokers you see for sale at places like Wally World. They seem to go for around $150.00-$200.00. Seems like a perfectly good waste of a smoker though, I like to smoke and BBQ ALMOST as much as I like to build guns and shoot. :D :D
Rule you are ok!!! All we need now is some beer!!! Thanks for the ideas, Jack

#11 ·
Gun Curing oven

Guys, just go to Wal-Mart and buy their "Smokey Mountains Series" Smoker. It is the 36" Gas Smoker. Just keep the racks and wood chip bin out of it. Ive been using mine for a little over a year now. Since its gas, you can regulate the temp. just where you want it. I can do Gun Kote and cure it at 300 or Molyresin at 200. I'm telling you it works perfect. Cost is $149.00. Came to about $169.00 with taxes. Oh, I did smoke a turkey in it for the wife at Thanksgiving. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
I've hmmed and hawwed over Steve Wagner's set up.
I like his projects but that barrel oven is mediocre at best.

Any discarded 40 gallon hot water heater is just begging to be turned into a rifle oven IMO.
Hinge it length wise.
Ducting, insulation, lp gas regulator, .......... its all there already.

Good luck.
Post pics.

#13 ·
High Road said:
Guys, just go to Wal-Mart and buy their "Smokey Mountains Series" Smoker. It is the 36" Gas Smoker. Just keep the racks and wood chip bin out of it. Ive been using mine for a little over a year now. Since its gas, you can regulate the temp. just where you want it. I can do Gun Kote and cure it at 300 or Molyresin at 200. I'm telling you it works perfect. Cost is $149.00. Came to about $169.00 with taxes. Oh, I did smoke a turkey in it for the wife at Thanksgiving. :rolleyes:

Sam and I were in Harrisburg for the gun show last month and as a side trip we stoped at the new Bass Pro Shop. I saw the smoker you mentioned and you are right it is perfect. Jack

#15 ·
I was out garbage hunting and found 2 identical electric stoves that work. I figure I can remove the doors and rivet sheetmetal over the seams front-to-front giving me a 5 foot drying oven. I'll have to remove the back of one and make the door fit for an opening. It'll also give me two rows of four burners so I can heat a parkerizing tank and a boiling tank. 2 - 220v sockets in the garage and I'm in business. Best part is I found everything, including the sockets and sheetmetal, so it's free!

#17 ·
Stove pipe with an elbow so nothing will drip on heat source. Heat rises so stand it up. Heat source could be anything controlable. You could use a hair dryer or a hot plate and fan. Use what it takes to get the temp you want in the pipe. You could use PVC and hinge it so you could open it like a clam shell. Shouldn't matter much with the temps you are working with. Use a filter on the input to keep dust off of your paint.

#18 · (Edited)
Figured out a cheap oven

Edited: I was checking out the old 50's Coldspot refrig I found and decided it will make a far better paint curing oven than smoker. The thing is 5 foot high and has an insulated steel lining. If I pull the compressor and coils I can fit a small heater space heater in the bottom and use a vent cap in the bottom of the frig to keep flammable drops from hitting the coils. The door seals are good so with a small vacumn cleaner filter on the intake and exit no dust will migrate to the parts. These old frigs are made for this. I have a couple extra grill temp gauges so I can mount one in the door to keep track of the inside temp. I might be better off stripping a stove burner and using an oven thermostat to run it. Trying the easy way first.

#20 ·
Well as I see it Turkey, Guns, and beer. Looks like Sam and I have some bring alongs to the April shoot. Cephus, we're gettin ready you better bring the barbque sause. It will be just like at Sonnies, my favorite restaurant. Jack

#21 ·
I built my oven from a high school locker. I added about 1 1/2 inches of insulation in the interior walls & door. Added 4 inches in the top. I then lined the entire inside with flat stainless steel (I had extra). Put a 1/2 rod through the top part with some "S" hooks and a couple of hooke with swivels to hang parts. The swivels are great when you have a entire rifle hanging to spray. For a heat source go to walmart and buy a hot plate for $8.00. I removed the internal relay from the hot plate and wired it into my process controller & relay. I set the temperature on the process controller.
It works great.Not a hard project but finding a donor locker was the hardest part.
If anyone want some pics email me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.