How useful would this be to us?

Thread: How useful would this be to us?

Feedback Score

Default How useful would this be to us?

"The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

I was just looking at that in their store last Thursday. For a guy that wants to cut some slots with and endmill every once in a while it's not a bad tool. There is another version that does lathe stuff too that might be better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've had really good luck with Harbor Freight tools. Granted it's not top of the line stuff, but it's near the top. Especially for the prices. You get 80% of the quality for 10% of the price of highend stuff. If it's something that you are going to use day in and day out, then you're ahead to go with highend stuff. But for occasional use, HF stuff is great!!!!!!!
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

I just thought for $279 it was the cheapest miil I'd ever seen. Would it be good enought for say working on 60% 1911 frames or opening up the mag well on a single stack milled AK?

Do you have a link for the mill/lathe?
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The only knock against them that I have heard is the limited travel of the table.
    At only 9" You could not get to both ends of a AK receiver (10-1/4") without having to set it up twice.

About the only place I can see this being a issue, would be trimming a bent blank to length or doing trunnion holes.

Feedback Score

Setting up twice doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

It would only be a problem if you wanted to index one end off the other.

But for most light duty work, it would work fine.

Feedback Score

Is this the mill/lathe you were refering too?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46199
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes that was me. I got the $499 job on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44991

BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THIS - You want as big a tool as you can afford!

TRUST ME.

You say it doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you are spending all of your time truing up your work, you will really regret that small size. Additionally, you'll have a smaller motor that will quickly begin to feel underpowered.

Case in point - I got the 7x10 mini-lathe and already regret not getting the 7x14 or whatever it is. While adequate, the travel on the mini-lathe is barely enough to do anything longer than about an 8" setup. Compounding this is that while the lathe has a pass-through spindle, the size is 5/8". I considered this adequate if ever I had to to barrel work, but already I've discovered the Suomi barrel I was going to use for the Bizon project won't fit. So guess what - I can't turn down the Suomi barrel. NOW I wish I would have ponied up the extra bucks, because I don't want to discard my $400 mini-lathe just to upgrade to the next higher size.

GO BIG.

That said, I like my mini-mill. I would not want to go smaller, however.

If you MUST get a multitool, then go for it, but I would recommend against it. If you have to go between the lathe and mill, you'll be spending all your time setting up. It isn't as easy as swapping drill bits... the lathe spindle is in the way of the mill, so you have to disassemble the lathe to get to the mill. Then you have to reassemble the lathe and true it up before you use it.

Way back when, I was looking at the Smithy multi-tool that runs about $1300. On that model mill, the lathe spindle is not in the way of the mill, so you can do both lathe and mill work at the same time. Add to that, you have somewhat of a milling attachment to the lathe. Makes certain types of work a bit easier, but still not the best setup.

Just bite the bullet and pony up the cash! You won't regret having a bigger mill.

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I would always go for seperate tools also. A benchtop mill ($499.00) and a benchtop 8" x 20" lathe ($599.00). I would definately get a lathe with a quick change gearbox.
    Life Is For Service

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.