Gunco Forums banner

Bent Blank Jig?????

878 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Sangrun Hunter 
#1 ·
Ok, I have been thinking about this for a while. It seems that bending the flats require 2 rather costly tools not to mention large.

Why would it not be feasible to create a jig similar to The CNC Gunsmithing jig for the AR lowers?

Basically place the bent blank in this jig, bolt it down and start drilling holes where they are supposed to be? Have it cut for 7.62 magwells or 5.45 magwells whatever. Use a scribe to mark the location and start dremeling away. Have it where it could be turned over to scribe the upper rails and cut away... It wouldn't have to be so heavy duty like bending the flats (oops, that means lower costs in production) and imagine a jig where you could have an option with an opening to allow a mag dimple jig to just slide in and press.

Any comments on this?

#4 ·
Yes I've thought of this too for some time. There's a drill-it-yourself place that has an older style AR jig with replaceable inserts in all the drill holes. After looking at that, seems you could put something together that has two large pieces that would sandwich the flat in place. The inner piece would of course be 1.2" in front and 1.7" in back, then the outer piece would be a larger U channel that everything would sit within - this is where the guide holes would be located. Mill a big oval at the right spot, and you have a guide for the dimples as well.

It *could* be done but may not be worth the effort, IMO. The drill-by-numbers templates are annoying, but they are effective.

#5 ·
I've found a speed sqaure is really help full and a professional produce AK to take measurements off of. Use the speed square and a razor blade to scribe marks down off the top rail. The measure down from the top rail for the center of the hole you are marking.

After my first test blank I found that I do not trust myself to apply the paper template. It is handy for the bottom of the receiver though.

They are just so easy to make off a blank after you figure a few things out. Wish I had time to finish mine, LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.