Thread: Homemade Chamber Reamer

Feedback Score

Default Homemade Chamber Reamer

Here is a Chamber reamer I made for a project, it worked perfectly. I have made several over the years and it is pretty easy and quick...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Cool chamber reamer !!! How did you harden it ???

VD

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Cool chamber reamer !!! How did you harden it ???

VD
    Its O1 Tool steel so I chucked it up in my drill press and rotated it slowly under power while applying the torch (I run a propane\oxygen torch) until it reached the sparkle/glittering temp then while still spinning I raised a mason jar of old oil (The older and darker the oil the better, more carbon!)up to it to quench. No need to temper at all, then I touch the edges with a light India stoning and run the power buffer over it a little. I find the harder they are the better they cut and longer they last, just don't drop it on the floor it will break! I have not broken one while reaming a barrel but I have dropped a few and broken them.

I also cut a 60degree rear for a live center so i can use the tail stock of the lathe to apply forward pressure.

I am getting many uses out of these before they start to dull beyond use ,more than enough for me. I used to cut D style reamers (As pictured) but they are good for one maybe two barrels but the 3 flute last awhile longer and cut better and the time to make them is about the same. I might move to a 4 flute eventually but why fix it if it ain't broke right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

What machining processes are involved to cut the reamer. Would you start with the simpler "d" design first?

And what source do you use for chamber dimensions?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    What machining processes are involved to cut the reamer. Would you start with the simpler "d" design first?

And what source do you use for chamber dimensions?
    I cut the reamer to size on the lathe, head, body, taper, neck and pilot length and diameter.

Then I place in the mill and find the EXACT center of the radius and I mean EXACT!!!!!

Then for a D style just cut in half like my picture.

You can get dimensions from google. If you get case dimensions add .002 to all of them.

HERE IS A GREAT TUTORIAL THAT GOT ME STARTED!!!
    How I make chamber reamers

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info and link.

VD

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I have never tryed the tail off set to cut a taper but I've read about it.

Am I understanding right that the length of the taper then the amount of clearance from the tool at the closest and furthest points is measured?

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Winn that is correct!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.