Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: help with building tools

Feedback Score

thank you coils for the help i ordered tools from akmachinist have you ever used his tools before?i tryed to get the tools from plinker he never got back to me.I ran into this guy at akfiles and ordered them from him.i need to order a drill press and was thinking of ordering harbor freights cheap drill press for 49.99 till i save for a mill or a floor drill press what are your thoughts on the h.f 5 speed drill press will it do a good job for building my ak part kits withno crooked holes and stuff lol! or should i save and get the floor drill press at tractor supply for 200.00 its like 3/4 hp i think and the harbor freight one is the bench drill press forgot to put that in their lol!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Your welcome, and sorry again for taking so long.
    No I haven't used any of his tools, as long as you didn't hear anyone complain about him you should be ok.
    If you have any problems with his tools, see if you can get a refund. There's a guy on here (and other forums) named restoreit and he makes a lot of building tools, he has a jig like this one too.
    I don't know what happened to Plinker, I don't think anyone has heard from him in a while?

That Harbor Frieght bench top drill isn't bad for the price, it's not top quality but it works fine for a home shop. Just get a decent vice for it, it will do what you need it to for AK builds and most other projects.
    I got a Craftman one like that and it has held up for many years of use.
    If you got the room and funds for a floor model, I'd go that route. Might even watch Craig's List in your area. Or see if there are any places that sell these types of tools in your area, a lot of them have used tools for sale too. You could get a good quality used drill for the price of a low quality new one.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

hey coils have you ever used that seige harbor freight minni mill or know any one that has one?if you do is it a any good im looking around for a mill to get when i get the extra cash and would like to get one but not one that comes with a bag of problems lol. any info on a decent mill? i kinda wanna get a bigger mill then a minni one but if it does well i may give it a shot. their was a bigger one i was eyeing up its 3/4 hp its green i think its the only green one they have right now. ill have to find the name of it for youbut if u have the time to throw me a few ideas please do thanks again coils

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I was looking at those before, I think a few people on here have or had one, they do work but it takes longer because of taking lighter cuts, so you'll be repeating the same step a lot more to do the same in a couple passes on a bigger mill.
    Here's a thread that I was asking the same question and ended up finding a bigger one for less (might be like the green one your asking about), it needed a little work on the table, had a lot of slop, but the rest of it was still in great shape.
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f183/input-mill-50611/

You should go through the "tool shed" area more because there's a lot of info already posted about mills. When you click on the "tool shed" link, look at the bottom of the screen and you'll see a drop down window that says "last month" or something like that, open that window and pick "from the beginning" and you'll see all the threads in this area.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I own the HF mini mill and it works great. It is the Sieg X2 which is the same mini mill sold by Grizzly, Little Machine Shop, and most other companies. For the money it's hard to beat and there are a half dozen companies that make/sell CNC conversion kits for it as well or the plans to build the parts yourself. The larger "green" colored benchtop mill from HF is the Sieg X3.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

How do they come up with these names like Sieg x2 & x3?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    How do they come up with these names like Sieg x2 & x3?
    I believe Sieg is an acronym for "Shanghai Industrial Engineering Group", or something like that, since they are located in Shanghai. The x2, x3 (and I think the x4 is now out) are basically model/version numbers - not sure how they came up with the names though - may have something to do with none of them being sold under the Sieg name since they are built and branded for other companies Here is a link from Frank Hoose's website where he visited the Sieg mini-lathe factory in China a couple of years ago. His site also has tons of great machining info.

Sieg Machine Tool Factory

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I believe Sieg is an acronym for "Shanghai Industrial Engineering Group", or something like that
    That makes sense, and thanks for the link, I'll check it out later

Feedback Score

i wouldlike to build or buy a flat bending jig and would like to know what is the best way to heat treat to get the hardness right and not to soft or to hard that it will crack on me.I see alot of people use kilns but i dont have one.iwould make one with the plans i have for it but dont have the cash at this time to build it.so any help that would be grate thank you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.