Thread: Lathe chuck needed

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Lathe chuck needed

I need a lathe chuck. The spindle is a D1-4, but I can get a mounting plate if you have an extra chuck. I would like a smaller self centering one like 6", but I'm open to anything.

If you have an extra or know of where to get one used at a good price please let me know.

Thanks

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    There is a used 3-jaw 6 1/4 inch chuck on ebay for $45.oo (buy-it-now). It is rusty and needs jaw tops (it's reverseable jaw type). No back plate included and I didn't see any chuck key... but the price is low for chucks anyway. No guarentee that it is not worn. Brand unknown...

This chuck would be a salvage/resto project requiring a mill to make fresh jaw tops but it is rather inexpensive.

New econo 3-jaw 6 inch chucks (chinese) run about $130.oo less back plate. Top quality American 3-Jaw chucks this size cost several times that amount (as you likely know).

VD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ok I'll check it out.

The lathe came with a 12 5/8" 4 jaw chuck, but it seems a little big for what I'm doing.

Also, kinda want a self centering one for the less precision parts I work on. I saw some discussion that they were like trainning wheels. What do you think? I know how to dail a 4 jaw in, but the one I have is 12" and is a pain to dail in.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

TDK, keep an eye out on ebay as Viper Dude suggested and take your time. I got a like new 8" horton made in the USA 4-jaw with back plate for under $100 shipped a while back. With the coarser screws it is a little harder to center than my other 4-jaw chucks. I have a 6" cushman that I just need to finish the backing plate that I plan on using since it has finer pitched screws and weighs about half of the 8" one. I mostly only use the 3-jaw unless precision or shape/cut dictates the 4-jaw. But my 3 jaw is a buck true-chuck and can be adjusted to run on center. The chuck keys are easy to make, but are cheap enough if you don't want to bother, so I wouldn't let a missing one be a deal breaker.

Feedback Score

Check out plazamachinery.com Joe has (quite literally) tons of chucks listed. Check out the Buck Adjust-tru's so that you can dial it in if you need to .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks Holescreek check his list.

I got a couple of leads, but still looking.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.