Thread: PTG muzzle crown cutter source?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default PTG muzzle crown cutter source?

Anybody know where to buy a piloted muzzle crown cutter like the Pacific Tool and Guage model? Midway shows them out of stock, backorder OK.

Interchangeable Pilot Muzzle Cylinder 45-Degree Chamfering Crowning Cutter 1/2 Diameter

Only problem is they have been on backorder for like a year now, every month they bump it up another 30 days on the "expected arrival" date. Tried the PTG website, they used to list it, now it's no longer up and I am beginning to suspect it's been discontinued.

Alternatively, anybody got one they are willing to lend/rent for a few days? I have a ChiCom SKS I need to recut the crown on, looks like the previous owner crowned it with a dull Dremel bit while drunk. I don't need the .30 pilot, I can turn one from brass if I need to.

Feedback Score

Hello KernelK,
    If you can't find the needed barrel crowning tool.... use your lathe. Grab the receiver tail centered in a 4-jaw chuck and the muzzel held in a steadyrest. Crowning can then be done with a properly ground HSS bit at very low RPM's. It's not that hard to do.

VD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah, that would work. Know anybody with a 4 jaw and steady rest that fit on a 1930s vintage South Bend 18" swing lathe?

Feedback Score

For the Southbend parts check with the Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web Southbend sub-forum and perhaps also place a "want to buy" post in the WTB sub-forum there on PM. Be sure of the spindle thread size (or taper fit) for your big Southbend lathe. The steadyrest will be harder to find but... there are also aftermarket generic steadies to be had which adapt to the SB lathes.

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 01-15-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

VD, the point here is kinda to do this low buck. I usually crown on the lathe, but that's with the bare bbl only sticking out an inch. Investing $25-30 in a manual crown tool for a probable one time use thing is fine, but much more than that and it would be cheaper to farm out the work. Brownells sells similar manual crown tools, but they run $90 and up, $40-50 more than someone would charge to recrown.

Feedback Score

I can understand the cost factor here as I am on a tiny military disability fixed income.

So... try a face plate on your Southbend lathe to attach the SKS rear frame and a brass (5/16" ??) rod in the tailstock (drill chuck) to support the muzzel. That brass rod should have a small lateral groove facing the crowning bit. Use oil. The groove provides some clearance for the crowning.

A 3-jaw chuck might be possible to use with the proper shim(s) or block inside the receiver which would allow the receiver back end to be held square to the bore.

I'm just full of suggestions !!!

VD

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.