bend your tapco flat or sheet metal the easy way 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bend your tapco flat or sheet metal the easy way 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default bend your tapco flat or sheet metal the easy way 2

ok first i bought me a tapco flat. and then built me a bending jig that almost worked but the corners on the receiver didnt come out very square. so i had to find a better way to do it. i hated that i had wasted the only flat that i had so i got me a nice flat hammer and pounded it flat. so i could try to bend it agian . after all the hammer work it didnt look to good so i said hell ill just try anything to get it bent .so i thought about it a little while and found a pretty good way to bend a flat that wouldnt cost you no more than a few bucks. so here we go i hope this helps some people because it drove me nuts untill i found the right way to do it. so first get you some cut off wheels and put one on your grinder if you dont have grinder a dremel cut off wheel will work. but it will take you a while the way i do it i can have the receiver bent in 10 minutes. get your grinder set up like this ok
    now your gonna need a flat peice of steel with a very straight edge. i used the factory edge off of a peice of angle iron i cut in half. now what you will need is a copy of the ace arms ak template print it out and glue it to your receiver flat .on the old ace template the holes on the side of the receiver dont match up so i match up the magwell hole and the trigger hole and the grip hole to get it straight .with the flat if your useing a flat with demples before you glue anything lay your template down on the flat and cut out a square where the demples are because the template wont fit flat and straight with the humps there. then after the glue is dry take your flat and your straight edge of steel and clamp them in your vise. and take your straight edge of steel and put it right on the inside line of the middle of the receiver. this is where you need to take your time and line the steel up perfect. then take one of your extra cut off wheels and kinda roll it down the straigt edge. and look at it make sure the wheel rolls in between the lines on the template ok so now your ready to cut just make sure everything is secure in the vise. just take your grinder and cut off wheel and make about 5 or 6 passes for thick metal like 16 gauge and 2 to 3 passes for the tapco flat. . try to keep the grinder level and go easy on the ends or you will cut through it. for the top rails i do the same thing i put the straight edge a little away from the the line on the template and roll a cut off wheel down the line on the template to make sure everything is straight. so on the top rails your cutting the outside line on the template.i would only make one pass on the upper rails and then bend them over with a hammer and a straight edge. after you have all the lines cut a decent way through but not all the way through take your straight edge line it up and drill you some holes in it. i put the 1 threw the magwell and trigger hole and 1 on each end. and screw it to my bench and you also may want to glue another template on so you can see the lines to clamp down on. first you bend the top rails with your new template glued on just line up the lines on the template and screw it down to the bench with some good wood screws. it should be held down pretty tight. then just use both hands and bend it over. you want to do the rails first then the middle. sometimes you can bend the middle with your hands but i like to use the straight edge screwed to the bench just to make sure its straight. it just depends on how far you cut through when you clamp down on the middle lines. try to clamp down in the center of the 2 lines on the template and just bend with your hand if your rails dont come out level just take the straight edge and clamp it under the rails and use a hammer and tap them flat. i have done a few receivers this way and i know it works. it would be alot easyer if you had a small break after you cut all the lines. but you can just clamp it in something and bend it .after you have bent it you can run you a small bead of weld down the lines or leave it like it is and build it. its up to you here is the tapco flat i bent 1 time and screwed it up and then hammerd it flat and then bent it the way i just typed. heres the bends sorry for the blurry pic here is the flat peice of steel i made a receiver out of the same way another that right hand side of the receiver i bent in a little to far but it can be fixed by hand. i just hope this helps some people bend all those tapco flats that everyone wants bending jigs for. i did this after i built a bending jig and didnt get good corners in my receiver. good luck sorry if its to long i just aint good at explaining stuff and sorry for the spelling in advance good luck here it is done

Feedback Score

how did you make all 4 bends that way? The receiver would have to fit inside the arm of the vise to get all 4 bends. Ummm, Im confused how you did it. Please explain.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by charger0122
    first you bend the top rails with your new template glued on just line up the lines on the template and screw it down to the bench with some good wood screws. it should be held down pretty tight. then just use both hands and bend it over. you want to do the rails first then the middle. sometimes you can bend the middle with your hands but i like to use the straight edge screwed to the bench just to make sure its straight. it just depends on how far you cut through when you clamp down on the middle lines. try to clamp down in the center of the 2 lines on the template and just bend with your hand if your rails dont come out level just take the straight edge and clamp it under the rails and use a hammer and tap them flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbadboyz
    how did you make all 4 bends that way? The receiver would have to fit inside the arm of the vise to get all 4 bends. Ummm, Im confused how you did it. Please explain.

Mark, I am going to make an assumption and say some of it was done in the vise and some of it was done by putting the receiver on the work bench and screwing a flat straight edge down to help the bends go into place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i had a second peice of steel to use as a straight edge with holes in it that was longer than the flat. and had a holes where the magwell is and the 2 extra holes in the flat on each end.i screwed it down to my work bench with wood screws in all the holes so it wouldnt go any where and then bent it. so ya lay the flat down on the bench and then screw down the straight edge in the middle of the flat lined up with the score and then bend

Feedback Score

That makes sense. I just couldnt picture it. It turned out very nice!

Feedback Score

Looks good...thanks for the good write up!!!!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by charger0122
    i had a second peice of steel to use as a straight edge with holes in it that was longer than the flat. and had a holes where the magwell is and the 2 extra holes in the flat on each end.i screwed it down to my work bench with wood screws in all the holes so it wouldnt go any where and then bent it. so ya lay the flat down on the bench and then screw down the straight edge in the middle of the flat lined up with the score and then bend
    Which one looks better? The one from the build party that we did together or the one above? Be honest now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

build party of course lol. but if ya aint got all the stuff we had at the party they still turn out pretty good with this method. the only thing i would do diffrent now .is that i wouldnt score for the top rails what i do is just put a flat peice of steel across where the line is on the template and clamp down on both ends and them clamp in the vise and hammer it rails over flat.and i do that first.i doubt ill ever do it this way anymore ill just come to your house for the day lol
    Allright you primitive screw heads listen up see this this is my boom stick its a 12 guage double barrel Remington. S Marts top of the line you can find this in the sporting goods department thats right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan.retails for about $109.95 its got a walnut stock cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger.thats right shop smart shop S Mart

Ash

Feedback Score

Your welcome anytime here. You know that. I finished with the rail guide. I bent one flat to test it and it worked great! Im going to pick up a few more to bend into complete receivers to have ready. Your idea is prety good and without all the jigs it looked like it worked well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

think i might be ordering a romy kit tomorrow if i have the money i still aint got my extensions yet im tryin to get someone to make some longer extension for the amds so i can use a regular slant brake. but it might fall through.if it does im just gonna get the regular extension and not worry about it.i gotta get a certin amount of people that want the longer ones before they will consider makin them and the they have to be priced so its a waiting game lol
    Allright you primitive screw heads listen up see this this is my boom stick its a 12 guage double barrel Remington. S Marts top of the line you can find this in the sporting goods department thats right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan.retails for about $109.95 its got a walnut stock cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger.thats right shop smart shop S Mart

Ash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.