Thread: does any one own this mill

Feedback Score

Default does any one own this mill

G0704 Drill/Mill with Stand i was thinking on geting this mill well i did order it and its currently out of stock till the 21 of this month so i have time to back out seeing as its not paid for. i will be using it for alot of steel and aluminum but mostly steel would like to go bigger but cant afford it so if any one ownes this mill please let me know what you think of it and does it mill through steel well open to all sugs.thank you guys!reason i ask is i dont know much on mills.

Feedback Score

I know nothing about it specifically. Around here you can pickup a old Bridgeport for that price. I guess it depends on how big a project you want to do

Feedback Score

problem is that i dont know enough about mills and would probly buy somthing that is going to end up being junk or or get ripped off.i wish i knew more about them so i would feel okay buying used.

Feedback Score

Well that is a problem. Another benefit of used is tooling and holders and such. That stuff adds up quick.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

On a used mill, wear is the thing to look for. Either the quill is loose or the bed where the table rides back and forth has uneven wear. A dial indicator run over the surface as you move the table will tell you if it is worn. Beyond that, does it run everything that should run? That's pretty much it for functional flaws.

Feedback Score

I've never seen one, but lots of guys use the Grizzly's and like 'em. Looks like a nice machine for the money. Just depends what you're wanting to do with it though. For small parts I think it would be a good machine.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

With your question about steel & aluminum, yes, but it will do it slower then a full sized mill. By slower I mean you won't be able to take off as much material per pass as a larger more powerful machine, so you might make ten passes to do what a large machine will do in one or two. It's just more time comsuming.
    Another thing is the tooling (cutters) you use, cheap tooling get dull fairly quick, good quality tools will cut for a longer period of time.

RedZX, your lucky to be in the area your in, I looked for a while for a used full sized machine in my area, and the only thing in the 1k range were completely worn out or missing expensive parts.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I dont know what exactly you are plannig on doing. But that is a pretty light weight machine. If you have a concrete floor then bigger is better. Check scrap yards too as aseveral local businesses were scrapping thier lathes and mills that were still good for hobbiests, just a little worn for production day in and day out.

Feedback Score

I paid $400 and $100 shipping for a little Chinese mill, Cummins, Harbor Freight, LittleMachineShop.com about 80 lbs or so. in 2005. With carbide cutters and knowing how to secure/brace it, it cut steel ok. Drilled a hole in the back of the vertical column, mounted a pair of "legs" at 45 degree angels, made of 1" angle iron, about 1/8" thick. Couldn't cut angles with that set up, tho. Go to scrap yard, find a chunk of 3/4" alumninum plate, about 15"x 3 ft long, and secure the mill to it by means of cap screws, sunk into counterbored holes in bottom of plate.

use heavy walled steel tubing and screw jacks to ceiling, to put weight on the plate, and that mill and its plate aint MOVING, dudes. :-)

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.