Gunco Forums banner

Spot Welder Mods.

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  PullThru 1948 
#1 ·
Hope I'm in the right forum for this question.
Been using a HF spotwelder with great success for a while and as usual , something crops up where the darn thing can't fit in to spot weld due to size.

Wondering of the possibility of adding a "skinny" pair of extension copper tongs to the existing Tongs, to enable reach inside narrow cavities, such as mag. Bodies etc.

Don't know if this would be safe/unsafe, effective or a useless exercise ?.

It would really open up a lot of possibilities though, should it be doable.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks all.

#3 ·
Thanks 7.62x39, I remember your mods. from some years back and that"s how I configured mine. Great for receivers.

What I was getting at,was a way to get inside a Mag. body.

Thinking of size reduction of, say3 or 4 inches(haven't measured anything yet), of the lower Tong, and having it either flat or round , with a parallel sided tip, to fit in the mag., body for
spot welding.

Any reason this wouldn't work?.

#4 ·
Hello PT,
I suggest a bit of insulation around the tong that goes inside the mag shell. That will prevent arcing out in the wrong places. A special low profile copper tip will likely be needed for inside work. I have used small copper rivits for that replaceable tip.

VD in AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.