Gunco Forums banner

Using a Ball End Mill

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wpage 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

Is it advisable, right or wrong, to "pre-drill" with Drill or End Mill prior to finishing off the job with the Ball End Mill.

OR, Just dive in and cut the whole thing with the Ball ?.

Last time I Riveted, I drilled part way and "eyeballed" to finish it with a Dremel. Took a while.

It's for Riveting AKs as you might have guessed.

Any guidance welcome. Thanks all.

Making TOOLING !!

PT1948

#2 ·
There are two schools of thought on this matter. Some will say "since it's a 2 flute end mill, just plunge in" others "always pre-drill ". I have always pre-drilled then finished off with the ball end mill. Some would not agree with me, but this is what I do and it has always worked well for me.

Just my 2[FONT=&quot]¢[/FONT]

#5 ·
me neither....

if you got lots of drill bits and use expensive mill bits?

then you drill first and "wipe" it with a mill bit...

if you dont care and time is more important? hit it with the mill bit to start with.

a ball mill bit is good for helping you get centered up verses just a 2 flute thats gonna cut wherever you put it.

#6 ·
a ball mill bit is good for helping you get centered up verses just a 2 flute thats gonna cut wherever you put it.
A 2 flute end mill is, for the most part "center cutting", same as a "Ball end mill", but if your setup is not rigid, you'll create more problems than you bargained for, especially in sheet steel (AK receivers). Also, it is not a good idea to "plunge cut" a 2 flute, or for that matter, any mill into your workpiece, as it put undue stress on your cutter and could cause the end mill to shatter.

#7 ·
Please clarify what the heck this is about. 8:40 am & you gave me a headache allready trying to guess!
Are you making a triggerguard rivit jig?

#11 ·
Sorry for all the confusion and delay. Been out all day.

What I'm doing is remaking some blocks /tools etc. if you will, to enable the seating of Rivets in the Front and rear trunions in some AK rebuilds.
Wasn't happy with the Rivet appearance, so redoing and decided to invest in some Carbide Ball End Mills to enable finishing the "Tooling" to provide a nicer looking Rivet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.