Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using a Ball End Mill

Feedback Score

Default Using a Ball End Mill

Hi Folks,

Is it advisable, right or wrong, to "pre-drill" with Drill or End Mill prior to finishing off the job with the Ball End Mill.

OR, Just dive in and cut the whole thing with the Ball ?.

Last time I Riveted, I drilled part way and "eyeballed" to finish it with a Dremel. Took a while.

It's for Riveting AKs as you might have guessed.

Any guidance welcome. Thanks all.

Making TOOLING !!

PT1948
    Last edited by PullThru 1948; 02-09-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Confusing and Vague !

Feedback Score

There are two schools of thought on this matter. Some will say "since it's a 2 flute end mill, just plunge in" others "always pre-drill ". I have always pre-drilled then finished off with the ball end mill. Some would not agree with me, but this is what I do and it has always worked well for me.

Just my 2
    Johnny V
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Member OGCA
    CCW OH & PA

Feedback Score

Thanks Johnny V , I was hoping to hear that, as to me, that seems the way to do it.
    Always good to get a second opinion if in doubt.
    Cheers.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Are we talking about trunnion rivet holes here? I don't understand why you would need to use a ball end at all.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

me neither....

if you got lots of drill bits and use expensive mill bits?

then you drill first and "wipe" it with a mill bit...

if you dont care and time is more important? hit it with the mill bit to start with.

a ball mill bit is good for helping you get centered up verses just a 2 flute thats gonna cut wherever you put it.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    a ball mill bit is good for helping you get centered up verses just a 2 flute thats gonna cut wherever you put it.
    A 2 flute end mill is, for the most part "center cutting", same as a "Ball end mill", but if your setup is not rigid, you'll create more problems than you bargained for, especially in sheet steel (AK receivers). Also, it is not a good idea to "plunge cut" a 2 flute, or for that matter, any mill into your workpiece, as it put undue stress on your cutter and could cause the end mill to shatter.
    Johnny V
    Member OGCA
    CCW OH & PA

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Please clarify what the heck this is about. 8:40 am & you gave me a headache allready trying to guess!
    Are you making a triggerguard rivit jig?
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Please clarify what the heck this is about. 8:40 am & you gave me a headache allready trying to guess!
    Are you making a triggerguard rivit jig?
    I dunno.
    From the comments about going through ak receivers and riveting I assumed he was talking about trunnion holes. I asked if that was it, but OP didn't respond.

I'm out

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_V View Post
    A 2 flute end mill is, for the most part "center cutting", same as a "Ball end mill", but if your setup is not rigid, you'll create more problems than you bargained for, especially in sheet steel (AK receivers). Also, it is not a good idea to "plunge cut" a 2 flute, or for that matter, any mill into your workpiece, as it put undue stress on your cutter and could cause the end mill to shatter.
    Johnny,

center cutting vs self centering........ NOT the same.

center cutting cuts from the center of where ever you put it.. lots of guys miss the holes by a smidge in any direction. :-)

non machinist guys that use ball nose mill bits do it cause they leave it loose, put it against the old hole.. THEN after its centered itself....sometimes they tighten up so it cant woller.... sometimes not.

if you have a build party with guys that arent machinists you'll see this a lot.

s
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    Johnny,

center cutting vs self centering........ NOT the same.

center cutting cuts from the center of where ever you put it.. lots of guys miss the holes by a smidge in any direction. :-)

non machinist guys that use ball nose mill bits do it cause they leave it loose, put it against the old hole.. THEN after its centered itself....sometimes they tighten up so it cant woller.... sometimes not.

if you have a build party with guys that arent machinists you'll see this a lot.

s
    Glad I don't go to those build parties. Can't say I ever let anything "woller"....

Isn't "wollering" something hogs do???????
    Johnny V
    Member OGCA
    CCW OH & PA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.