Gunco Forums banner

How much smoke, baking paint in?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Corpsie 
#1 ·
How much smoke is thrown off when baking in for an hour at 400 degrees the paint on an AK? Should this only be done outside? What type of ovens or heaters have you guys used to accomplish this?

#4 ·
Thanks for your response on the smoke issue. After spray painting how long do you let it dry before putting in the oven? Does the old paint need to be roughed up first or do you just paint over a clean surface? Rustoleum, oven black, enamel is that what people are using? is it suspended by wires in the oven?

#5 ·
I would suspend it. I used BBQ paint from HD and baked it at 300 for 3 hours. No smoke and little odor. My wife wasnt mad at all! I would let dry for a day before using oven to bake it.

#7 ·
Yea man, turned out nice. Just make sure you suspend it from the oven. I didnt with my underfolder and it left a grill mark on the bottom of the trigger guard. It doesnt bother me though.

#9 ·
I used Rustoleum Textured and let it dry overnite and used the kitchen oven at 275 degrees. Did two coats and baked the first time for 45 min and the second time for 1 1/2 hour. Little smell but no smoke. Had the exhaust fan on full blast and that helps to keep the smell down and not spread thru the whole house.

#13 ·
magnus392 said:
I used Duplicolor High Heat 1200 Degree Semi Gloss. Mbad has seen the finish it leaves. Be sure to bake it good. This Paint dries pretty quick so you could back it with in a half hr of painting.
How well does that hold up to solvents?

#14 ·
I really like the duplicolor 1200. i bake at 400 for 1.5 hours usually. faint odor, but no smoke. how does it hold up to solvents? i don't know. i wouldn't use a solvent on the rifle anyways. if you stay after the chrome bore, you shouldn't have to use a strong solvent on any painted parts, especially on the exterior of the rifle.

after you've degreased and cleaned your kit, prior to assembly and finish, bake it on an old cookie sheet for 1-2 hours at 300. you'll be surprised at the oil still hidden inside one around the FSB, RSB, trunnion, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.