Gunco Forums banner

heating the rivets?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hotbarrel 
#1 ·
What I can't figure out is how you heat the rivets red hot , and then try to put it where it belongs before it cools off??

#2 ·
you don't heat the rivets red hot. you don't heat them at all. it's not that kind of rivet. the AK rivets are put in the hole and "squished" causing the shaft to swell and the straight end gets formed either into another head pinching and holding the 2 parts together.

#5 ·
Its not all that crazy an idea. I built my 1919A4 last year and in the neverending quest for perfect heads I found that heating them with the arc from a tig welder melted them and caused a perfectly round and well formed head. Wouldn't dream of doing it to an ak but it worked great on the 1919.

#8 ·
I have heated rivet tips a couple times to get them to smoosh easyer, I cant remember whare I did it but I think it was when I bucked off the barrel. I wanted the tip to be softer than the shank up by the head. after it smooshes some it ends up stressed again but it gave a good easy start.. it has not loosened up yet but time will tell.

#10 ·
I cut a very small slit in the end of the rivet too I placed the rivet in with the slit in align with the barrel to help it start. also I used the 1 pat rivets as they are a bit longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.