press question

Thread: press question

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Default press question

I noticed homier is selling a 6 ton A frame style press for $39.99. http://www.homier.com/default.asp And do a search for 6 ton shop press. Is this press to small for most AK builds? It definitely is a good price - but I remember most use a 12 or 20 ton press. I currently have access to a press, so am not really in the market for one - but figured for the price this would be a good one if it would work for doing AK builds.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Mike,

It would probably work OK for the riveting, but it would not be any good for barrel work, it doesn't have the height required.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Max, thanks for the answer - I got to realizing shipping is on top of the price and if I went for a press it would be more cost effective to get one from the local harbor freight store.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

They come around all the time. Just get on their mailing list and they let you know when they come near you. I think your right about the rivets. Mine seem to smash farily easily with the 20 ton. I couldn't find the picture of the 6 ton. When I push out my barrels, the barrel is face down with the trunnion up. I could easily do it with a press that had just 6 in. to work with. When I reinstall mine, I hammer it in. If I could get 6 in. of clearance I think it is doable to remove barrel. Just depends on if you are using special jigs like Xebec's. I think the barrel is reversed with it and you would need a lot of clearance. Can't beat the price though.

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

When Homier rolls into town, they sell the 20 ton press for $99.00. I have one and it is a real nice press.
    Life Is For Service

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Everytime I show up to see if they have one, they are already sold out. If you do try to get one when they come in town, go early.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.