Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lathe necessities for AK's

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I second what Hotbarrel says about combo machines!!! You will be much better served by seperate machines. I have a Smithy that they no longer carry (itis now sold by Grizzly:G9729 Combo Lathe/Mill) and you have to take down your set up for your mill to use your lathe and vise a versa. the mill is belt driven but the lathe is gear driven. I should have shopped around and bought a good used machine.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Here are some pics of my JET lathe.

Also, I stopped by HF tonight on the way home and had a look at their lathes. I am not trying to put anybody else's lathes down, and I cant vouch for the currently mfr JET lathes, but I can say without a doubt that this 1992 13x40 JET is nicer in a lot of little ways. Having said that, I also think that the 12x36 HF had on the floor would make a perfectly good gunsmith lathe. And the nice thing about getting it from HF is that you can pick it up. Shipping/receiving on mine was a PITA.

Just trying to call um as I see um.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

WOWO now that is a nice looking machine!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

yes that is basicaly what I have !! I love it .. price their . VERY GOOD so far . parts available = EVERYTHING and basicly cheap. on ebay.. good deal.
    this is a mod "A" one of the best , with power cross feed and a clutch in the apron . nice I also see it still has the screw position indicator on the apron for the lead screw. COOL
    would be nice to see the ways under the sadal but what I can see looks very nice.. I call it a BUY!!!
    SHIPPING ????

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashhoe
    That looks good to me too. That is basically what I cut my teeth on. Looks to be in good shape, but would want to see it in person before buying it. Take note that the old girl weighs 1700 lbs! Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am guessing it has a flat belt under the hood and has been converted to use a motor.
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    WOWO now that is a nice looking machine!!
    Thanks HB. I worked a lot of OT that year. I dumped about 5K of it on that lathe and a comparable mill drill to make myself feel better.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Wow, what a lot of information from all of you . Thanks. Hot Barrel, I promise to stay away from combo mill/lathe as I have a small mill already. I will probably go with a Grizzly 4003 lathe (a 12 x 37 with a 1.5 hp motor.) as it will thread in more than one direction and will actually do what I need to. The smaller lathes were seriously lacking in features to do gunsmithing and other various jobs. More money, but more lathe and I don't think if I find a small lathe that I can just add on to it at will.

Thanks again all for your input!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score

For my 2p, I've always been told to avoid combo machines. Last Christmas my wife "allowed" me to get a HF 9x20 lathe and a HF MiniMill. Caught both of them on sale and spent less than a thousand for both. Money WELL spent IMHO. Yes, they do have their limitations and someday I'll move up to larger machines. The 9x20 only has a 3/4in spindle bore so nothing more than small bore barrels. The mill doesn't like more than a .040 pass from 1/2in end mill through flycutting. On the up side though, the mill is 0-0 square and the 3jaw scroll chuck on the lathe only has .001 TIR! Might be a little off topic but I made a nice grease-cookie ribbon extruder a few weeks ago for my .45-70 BPCR handloads. It came out just fine for having used inexpensive, accurate, import tools. My best suggestion: study the specs and buy the largest capacity QUALITY tools you can afford.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Gotta agree with the 'buy quality' statements. I have a HF mini-mill and 7x10 min-lathe. I would go with a bigger lathe if I could do it again. I don't use it that much so I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to have longer travel. It makes pistons, center support tubes, barrel pins, etc. with no problems.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.