Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 115VAC Spot Welder Update

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Thumbs up 115VAC Spot Welder Update

After using the spot welder (on my AMD-63 build) as I had modified it the original lower tong tip came unsoldered (I used low temp solder...bad). I was thinking about using a higher temp solder when I remembered reading that someone (??) used a MIG tip. So I bought a package (about $4.50 for the .030" hole) and updated my lower tong with the new tip. Since the MIG tip has a threaded end I used a nut to hold it in place. I did have to chuck the tip in my drill press to remove some material (I used a file while the press was running on the non-threaded end) so that the both tips closed on the lower rails correctly.

The test results were very good. The picture of the spot welds doesn't do justice for the job. The welds are quite smooth. Also it seems like the little hole in the MIG tip doesn't cause any problems. I give the MIG tip idea a thumbs-up!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

I picked up my 115volt spot welder on tuesday and started to modify it tonight. I took the lower tong and cut it at the elbow. I then grinded it down flat and drilled it then tapped it to 5/16 - 18. The original tip threaded right on. I went down on the underside and grinded it down along the tube about 4-5 inches in length. It still needs fitted inside the receiver to make sure it will fit. I did try it on some scrap metal and worked like a charm. Tomorrow I will fit it on the inside of the receiver and post some picks. I thought I read an earlier post of heat treating the rails and x,y axis 1st then welding the rails in.

Feedback Score

Heres what I did with the lower tong. Instead of buying a new piece of copper to modify, I modified the original one. Cut it at the elbow and started grinding. The upper tong was not cut at all. I used a 5/16 - 18 tap to re-thread the hole. I tried it last night on some scrap metal. I'm not sure of thickness but was thicker than a AK flat. I held it 3 seconds and made 2 welds on it. It held, but I could knock it apart afterwards. The lower metal I was welding got bright red when I stopped the trigger. I know 3-4 seconds would work great on the AK Flat.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

This is a fantastic site. I just love how everyone has a way in dealing with problems and helps everyone by posting their solutions. Great job to 7.62X39 (another post about the same thing) and mbadboyz.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mbadboyz
    How long should you hold the trigger down for on a 115volt spot welder?
    I use 3 seconds, more like just counting 1, 2, 3. and then letting go of the switch. I always practice on scrap metal before I start on the good stuff just to make sure I have the rythum down.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I used scraps from kits and xtra stock from upper rail from a Bent Metal receiver blank and played with different times, I also discovered that holding the pressure on the tongs after the welding is finished for a few seconds made a difference in the welds.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Although the correct tap size is 8mmx1.25 it appears from MBad's post 5/16x18 will work in a pinch.

I agree that a three count seems to be about right.

Feedback Score

Well......spot welded one receiver today. Very intimidating procedure! It turned out pretty good. I didnt know you had to hold down on the tongs pretty snug as your burning.
    Should get better on the next ones.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Some added information concerning the use of mig tips.

As I use the tips for spot welding, I discovered the following; the mig tips have a rounded end (where the wire comes out). This rounded tip is not the greatest for making contact when spot welding. So I chuck the tip in a drill press and use a file to flatten the tip.

Also, the mig tips work best when you use it for only one set of lower rails. I use a total of 9 spot welds on the lower rails, 4 spot welds on the LH rail and 5 spot welds on the RH rail. If used for more than 9 welds the mig tip might melt (I said might) and you could get a poor weld. Anyway, I look at changing the tip as cheap insurance to ensure that I get a good spot weld for the lower rails.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

What about moding a small copper bolt for the tip? Anyone try that yet?

This is one of my next purchases as well. I was going to screw my rails in, but I keep hearing of all the trouble. Between this and Pookies rivet smoosher making and AK is simple now. I got a drill press and all the other tools needed for doing a prebent blank.

I remember when there was no one that would tell you how they did this stuff...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.