Thread: Shop Press and Barrel Pin removal

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Shop Press and Barrel Pin removal

I just got my 12 ton shop press put together and last night I was going to try and press out a barrel pin. How do you get the trunion and barrel to be level so you can press on it. Do I put this is a vise with a nut under the other side of the pin. I know lots of you guys have done this a little instruction woudl help. Thanks Jim

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I just use pieces of steel flat bar to shim it level and leave room between press plates for the pin. There are jigs for this that come with the barrel pressing kits.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

if you don't have any flat bar laying around you could always just get some washers and stack them until you get a level surface to work with, anything will work really. Twissted
    Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War - Plato
    Oh Yes, There Will Be Blood! - Saw 2

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Twissted1
    if you don't have any flat bar laying around you could always just get some washers and stack them until you get a level surface to work with, anything will work really. Twissted
    +1 to that! Unfortunately I dont have any scrap metal anywhere to use, so I use washers as well. One thing that helps is to make sure the washers are under the corner of the trunion, not the gas block. That way the gas block wont get twisted.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, because I am the baddest motherfu$@er in the goddamn valley.

Feedback Score

One of the first things I did to make life easier was drill a 5/16" hole through the center of one of my press plates. This seemed easier than trying to suspend the trunnion / barrel between two plates of varying thickness. Then, using miscellaneous shims and some 1/4" dowel pins of various lengths out pop the barrel pins!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

On my removals - I took a 3/8 ' lock washer and cut it with a dremel so it looped around the pin hole - then taped it in place - turned it over - and pressed it out. I've done 5 of them this way and they all worked slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I just used a hammer and punch.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.