Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who here has a lathe or mill?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Who here has a lathe or mill?

Posts keep popping up by guys (and gals?) that have lathes and/or mills. And there are occasionally posts by guys who are recently new lathe or mill owners. Looks like a trend to me. I think guys have had fun building kits and are looking to take the next step. Seems to me that this ought to be a more active forum. So lets hear it. Whos out there making little ones out of big ones?

Oh, I have a Jet 13x40 belt drive lathe and a Jet JMD-18 mill/drill with power down and cross feeds. No CNC stuff here, but dont I wish.

Got them about 15 years ago to build precision rifles. Then got overcome by events and didnt get to do as much as I wanted. I'm just a learn as I go machinst. I usually figure out how I should have done it about the time I am done. Any Pros out there? I need lots of advice.

P.S. If you dont confess here, I wll rat you out anyway. I know who a lot of you are.
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Well I guess everybody knows I've had a mill and lathe for one week now, because I had to go and post pictures and ask someone to tell me I did a good thing. After being a do it yourselfer for 40 years now, it did not take long to figure out the basics of their operation. Now I'm waiting on re-prints of manuals so I can set them up correctly & get them in good trim. The Roderus forum has a good home machining forum. But we could do the same thing here. My lathe is an old 9 inch swing with maybe 28 inches between centers. Sure I'd like a bigger one. but for $300.0 I could not pass it up to start out with. I've allready carved up a few pieces of 3/4 inch water pipe.I'm having a ball searching for tooling and accesories on Ebay and from MSC. I think the horizontal will be fun too. So many more possibilities like 1911s and carving those Soumi barrels into something! I think Panaceabeachbum could sure teach us plenty if he'd be willing! I know he's a good guy and really gets into this homegunsmithing stuff!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I've an old Bridgeport.

It's kind of like my bulldozer.

Alot of things get torn up real fast with it.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

will fab for food... WRMorrison's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've got one of the mid-sized HF mills at home, but I'm an aerospace CNC machinist by trade, so I've got plenty of goodies at my disposal.

I'm no expert by any means, but I'll give advice if you need any (and if I TRULY know the answer, I don't pretend to know everything).

-WRM

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have a couple of each, not an expert but plenty of broken tools in my past

Byg
    Feedback Score

I just got a mini- lathe, no room for anything bigger or the $$..I am having fun hunting the accessories too.Been experimenting on some aluminum.Hoping to
    turn a gas piston soon,I figured that would be a great 1st project

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Osama 17x60 lathe and Bridgeport mill.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well, I bought one of the HF 7x10 lathes a few weeks ago. All I did was clean the red grease off and relube with white lith. Threw a 3/8" piece of aluminum rod in and turned it. Then turned a step about 1/2" from each end using just the dials. When I took it out and measured, it was within .0005 at each step and right on the full length. I now have one of the bed kits from LMS setting here, but wondering about changing it out. Hopefully it will be as accurate.

Feedback Score

i work part time in a machine shop. all real old machines most WWII.
    i don't spend much time there, too busy with concrete, racing, shooting, etc...

Feedback Score

I've got a Smithy midas 1220, the smallest (and cheapest, right at $1000) which came with enough tooling to get started.. I've set back shoulders on Mauser barrels, to headspace, milled out a FNFAL receiver wrench out of aluminum.. milled off the rivet heads of one Romy kit... made a few muzzle protectors for cleaning rods.. its pretty handy.. Les

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.