Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Harbor Freight!

Feedback Score

I buy their cheap once-in-a-while-use hand tools and that is about it. I like my Rigid brand tools from Home Depot. Great warranty, but have never actually needed it before because they don't break.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Pookie,

I got the same attitude with Sony on my rebate for my lap top. Had sent it in for repairs (warrenty and my stupidity for not getting the LCD screen insurance (over and above the extended warrenty) To make a long strory shot I fought for a year to get my 100.00 rebate. I got it by contacting the CEO of Sony in Japan. I found him in the stock market reports at the local library (value line I think) I had my check in a week from my e-mail to the CEO. Hope that this helps you and Thanks for all you do here for all of us with all of those tutorials of yours

Feedback Score

Pook you could check out Northern Tool, on Independence Blvd in Va Beach.
    Been 8 years since we lived there, so who knows who runs it now, but it is another "outlet", might be worth a look.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

They obviously dont know who they are messing with.
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score

I never get there to get service. Most "associates" there are standard Walmart issiue types so why to bother?
    Also I understand going there that quality is poor.
    I go there only because stuff is dirt cheap.... that is enough of the magnet.

I do not have loyalities with companies or manufacturers. All I`m looking for is a deal. Whoever has it gets my money.

I do not work with Harbor Freight tools, just play with them. My play budget is limited and spread between many hobbies. I`m glad there is HF aviable as option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There's no doubt they are cheap! I guess I can afford to not have to put up with the "whatchowant?" attitude. That, and the fact that I use my tools for more than just the "occasional hobby project" is driving me to the higher-quality-higher-priced places.

I can hear my dad now... "I told you so"...
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner
    "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Prioritize that is all.

That is my trigger guard jig and my home press.

Jig is worthed coupple times more than the press.

Feedback Score

It seems to me that hcpookie's gripe with Harobr Freight is not with the quality or the price of the tools, but with the attitude and treatment you received from an employee and more importantly an assistant manager. That would seem to me to be a legitmate gripe to take up with the head office. After all, if a manager takes this attitude with the customers it will most likely be propagated by employees and overall reflects badly on the store and the company. It sounds like you were resigned to just go buy a new one until the treatment from this assistant manager. Such treatment from any store manager would make me mad, but there is no guarantee that such treatment would not be coming from any of the other alternative tools stores, should they hire such a person to work for them. I wouldn't want to shop at a store that had this kind of person as a manager.

On alternate places to shop for tools, I have found a local agricultural supply company offers things like a 20 ton hydraulic press with a regular price of $149.99 which looks identical to the HF model only significantly cheaper than even their sale price at HF. They also had 1 ton arbor presses with a regular price $15 less than HFs regular price. I have not found a spot welder as cheap as the one from HF when they put theirs on sale. Buying at HF doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the lowest price, you still have to shop around if you are looking for that.

Reviewing the Warranty cards for a couple of their products, I notice that their warranty does specifically require the purchaser to return the product with a description of the defect, transportation prepaid, to the address shown on the card, not to the store where you purchased it. For heavier items such as milling machines, drill presses and anvils, that transporation cost may offset any benefit of such a warranty, even if it is a lifetime warranty. This is far different than the Craftsman handtool warranty, which allows you to bring the tool into any Sears store for an exchange.

The signs at the store at the place where I go shopping say that you can make returns of products that you are not satisfied with (within 30 days), but they probably have a policy (not written on the posted boards) that the product must be returned with all the original packaging and instructions and in re-sellable condition (I suppose the exception to that is if it was missing parts or clearly broken before you left the store with it). That return policy is probably pretty standard for most stores, though some may be more lax than others at checking the condition of defective items.

The extended in-store warranty plan they offer is basically pay for the store to handle all of the details of exchanging broken merchandise after the manufacturer warranty has expired. This would mean that a customer would have to follow the manufacturers warranty instructions during the manufacturers warranty period which means boxing up a broken gizmo and sending it to Camarillo, California and not necessarily being able to call the Extended Service Protection plan to get a return authorization to take it back to the local store.

That said, has anyone here actually bought their in-store warranty plan and returned anything with it? I wonder if you bring something in enough times broken, if they wouldn't start getting annoyed with you. I can see the same manager that gave hcpookie a hard time without the warranty doing the same song and dance with the warranty. There may be some weasel words in the warranty to get them out of having to do anything if they find abuse, neglect or evidence of actual use?

=====

Curiosity has gotten the better of me and I ran to the store today over lunch for a copy of the Extended Service Protection plan Terms and Conditions. I have been offered the opportunity to buy this service several times over the past month (and I refused it each time under the idea that I would throw out anything that broke and buy another).

OK, in order to qualify for their repair plan, you have to buy something that retails more than $500. Otherwise you are stuck with a one-time replacement plan. Assuming that others are like me and buy stuff worth less than $500, I will be talking only about the one-time replacement plan. According to the text, "Once the product has been replaced, this contract is terminated." That immediately tells me you can only bother them once, so that answers my question that is broken enough times, whether it would bother them or not. It clearly won't be a continuous bother for them.

In order to make a claim, a phone call must be made to AMT (the company that administers the plan, some sort of insurance company that I have never heard of before) and obtain an Return Authorization number and bring the defective product to the nearest store for an exchange. "Product must fail during normal usage." "The limit of liability for the Dealer under this contract is the original purchase price of the product excluding taxes."

The list of exclusions is lengthy for the Replacement plan. They include:
    1) Acts of God
    2) Misuse
    3) Abuse
    4) Improper use of electrical source
    5) Interconnection to other items not recommended by manufacturer
    6) Add-on items
    7) Accessories or attachments
    8) External wiring and cabling
    9) Battery chargers
    10) structural items
    11) Racks
    12) Bins
    13) Knobs
    14) Handles
    15) Appearance items
    16) Antennas
    17) Jacks
    18) Consumables such as batteries
    19) Any item that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
    20) Parts that fail due to lack of regularly scheduled maintenance.

What's left of a tool after you take off all those exclusions?

Just some thoughts.
    Hello World!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

cheap ass tools = cheap ass workers

how many times do you go there and see the same faces?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.