Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Goodbye Harbor Freight!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ffleudur
    It seems to me that hcpookie's gripe with Harobr Freight is not with the quality or the price of the tools, but with the attitude and treatment you received from an employee and more importantly an assistant manager. That would seem to me to be a legitmate gripe to take up with the head office. After all, if a manager takes this attitude with the customers it will most likely be propagated by

Just some thoughts.

That is the point here. Attitudes. Who cares and have time for that?

Expend your energy wisely.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This link will take you to current sale bills.
    http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/start.do

At the top of this page is a link that will open a popup where you can sign up to get on the mailing list for their 20% off coupons. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/start.do

I have the non contact thermometer shown on this link and it works great. It is now $39 (half price). http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=91778
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score

Mr. Poookie, while I appreciate your frustration, you should try spending a little time behind a sales counter where parts and tools are sold. about 99.9% of returns are BS where they bunged up a part and nopw can't use it, broke it, or got it filthy while using it nthen realizing they didn't need it, or used it once and now they don't need it so they return it.

after a few of those, attitudes unfortunately begin to form.

the irony of this for me happened about a month ago. a HF heat gun went into warp drive, so I wnt to return it. I didn't know the warranty was so short (and told them so). anyways, the manager told me he would exchange it - but I recognized the tone in his voice: what did I expect for $10 and the warranty is what the warranty is and my misperception does not actually change it.

so I said "thanks," walked away and bought another one. hell if I was going to be the plaintive "gee, I didn't know, gosh..." customer I had learned to loathe many years before. not saying you were, by any means, but I almost was.

If you were within the warranty, you should have been handed a new tool pronto. however, if not - I don't see how they owed you anything but free disposal.

Feedback Score

Oddly enough the best customer service of any retail tool supplier in my area is at HF. The folks are always friendly, and regularly help me find stuff when I can't, and they'll get me a box from the back when the shelf is empty. Never a complaint from them. My last return was easy, I bought the wrong framing nailer (28deg) and wanted to trade for a different one (34deg), it was painless with no questions asked.

Now Sears has the worst customer service around here, I'm usually lucky if I can even get someone to ring me up at the register. If I can't find something that must mean they don't sell it, or it's "over there". If I do get someone who is responsive they're a pushy salesperson. I don't think I've bought anything from Sears in the last few years. When I started finding craftsman stuff marked "made in china" I figured I'd just buy it for 1/2 or 1/4 the price at HF.

Feedback Score

is there any store still offering in-store POWER TOOL warranty?

Sears maybe, for their craftsman stuff, but I don't know how long the power tool warranty is nowadays.

Last time I tried to return a Makita cordless impact driver (within 90 days of original purchase, I know, we are hard on tools, use them day in day out, two shifts a day), Homedepot told me I need to contact the factory and do the warranty throught the manufacturer. If it was within 30 days they probably would had treat it as a normal return/exchange, otherwise.....

I certainly wouldn't expect HF to offer more warranty than Sears or Homedepot.

Maybe someone should wear out a Milwakee angle grinder and see if they will offer a free replacement? They might

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Yep they are cheap

Sorry to hear you had a problem. I used to get stuff from them almost monthly, till they got rid of free shipping, but then again I shop on line or over the phone.

Yep they are cheap. You do get what you pay for but do you really need to buy the expensive stuff is the question to ask.

I have bought many tools from them. Never had a problem returning anything but I never waited more than 90 days as that is what seems to be what every warranty is from them. All the electric stuff I have gotten has a 90 day warranty. I shop mail order so that may be different than the store. I have never heard of paying extra for extended warranty, which is plain stupid to do as the price is not worth it.

Being a professional mechanic I have many snap-on, mac, and craftsman. The trouble is now that I am retired I can not get the snap-on truck to come to my house. Yes there stuff is better but for the price of one ratchet you can get 4 or 5 complete socket sets from harbor freight. So what if they break, they are cheap enough to get another set. If I use something that much I would have bought craftsman in the first place.

Now that I do not use my tools as much and do not need to pay the rent with them I get the cheap stuff. Most of the cheap stuff is fine for the hobby guy. But if you are going to use it professionally then get the good stuff to start with.

I would not expect a harbor freight 25$ grinder to last a few years in the professional use it everyday catagory. their electric stuff just can't hack it. I have had my grinder for 5 years and it works fine. I have only used 4 or 5 grinding wheels so It is really hardly used.

I get the stuff knowing that it will do the job I need done and then may sit for some time so why spend 100 times as much for big $ stuff.

I got my 12 ton press from hf for 69$ YOu can not even get the press plates that come with it for that price from other places. I am only going to be doing hobby and farm stuff with it and not everyday so I got it. It works fine.

There are many places to get stuff but clearly hf is the cheapest both in price and quality. Before you get something you need to ask how long do I need it to last. Then you should not have any problems getting the right stuff.
    Are you Married or Happy?

Feedback Score

Is there any competition to Harbor Freight in your area? In Central Florida we have a chain called "Gators" that sells the same stuff as HF and there are a couple independents that sell similiar products. Flea Markets here often have vendors that sell even the bigger stuff like mills, presses, cut off saws, etc...

What about Lowe's being anti gun? I never heard of that but will act accordingly if its true.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

As a retail manager myself , I can assure you that HF corp. would not approve of the way you were treated by that location manager. There is never a good reason to be disrespectful to a guest/customer . State the policy , appologize, and help resolve the issue.....The guy is a manager...he gets paid to resolve issues not to create or compound them. I just cant see loseing any customer over a $20 tool.....I bend the rules all the time where I work to satisfy a guest(large retailer with strick return policies)....if its under $75 its a no brainer for me....whatever it takes.

May not be worth your time, but a few phone calls would get that managers cage a good rattle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glen avon
    Mr. Poookie, while I appreciate your frustration, you should try spending a little time behind a sales counter where parts and tools are sold. about 99.9% of returns are BS where they bunged up a part and nopw can't use it, broke it, or got it filthy while using it nthen realizing they didn't need it, or used it once and now they don't need it so they return it.

after a few of those, attitudes unfortunately begin to form.

the irony of this for me happened about a month ago. a HF heat gun went into warp drive, so I wnt to return it. I didn't know the warranty was so short (and told them so). anyways, the manager told me he would exchange it - but I recognized the tone in his voice: what did I expect for $10 and the warranty is what the warranty is and my misperception does not actually change it.

so I said "thanks," walked away and bought another one. hell if I was going to be the plaintive "gee, I didn't know, gosh..." customer I had learned to loathe many years before. not saying you were, by any means, but I almost was.

If you were within the warranty, you should have been handed a new tool pronto. however, if not - I don't see how they owed you anything but free disposal.
    I worked in retail for at least 10 years before I got into my IT career, so I see the "other side" of the picture. Both in sales and service. I can tell you stories about people returning broken, sabotaged, and flat-out trashed merchandise. Believe me, I understand expectations that were set at the time of purchase and at the following time I mention!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AKOK
    As a retail manager myself , I can assure you that HF corp. would not approve of the way you were treated by that location manager. There is never a good reason to be disrespectful to a guest/customer . State the policy , appologize, and help resolve the issue.....The guy is a manager...he gets paid to resolve issues not to create or compound them. I just cant see loseing any customer over a $20 tool.....I bend the rules all the time where I work to satisfy a guest(large retailer with strick return policies)....if its under $75 its a no brainer for me....whatever it takes.

May not be worth your time, but a few phone calls would get that managers cage a good rattle.
    I hear you loud and clear! Working in the service dept for an at-the-time major computer chain, I understand that there is a way to tell the customer "no, because you're an idiot" and have them thank you for telling them that. Its all about spin control. My current job is onsite iwth my customer, and I get to hear all the bitching and complaining about the company's product, then I have the ugly task of politely reminding them that the way they chose to use the tools that they purchased is why the tools don't work. "Don't use that screwdriver as a hammer and you won't be disappointed with that screwdriver's performance as a hammer! All about spin control, and politeness.

I think this thread is officially dead!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.