Thread: Need ideas for a lathe tool post grinder

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Need ideas for a lathe tool post grinder

Anyone have any good ideas for a BIY lathe tool post grinder made from commonly available tools and materials?
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I bought a cheap dumore on ebay, one of my friends just uses one of those cheap 1/4" air powered die grinders, seems to work just fine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

When you say cheap Dumore, are you referring to a Dumore tool post grinder or a Dumore die grinder with a tool post mount? I see they have both on ebay.

A dumb question. I have been trying to figure out how the Dumore tool post grinders mount from looking at the pictures. Hmmm. Do they mount to the T slot or does a guy have to rig up some kind of mount?
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score

Do a Google Search for "Tool Post Grinder" and you will find a wealth of info on the Net. I built my own several years ago using the ideas of others. One of the main sources of ideas was taken from this article:
    http://www.bedair.org/Projects/Grinder.html
    Hope this helps.

Feedback Score

i built mine last weekend, using a makita die grinder. i took a 3inch. piece of billet alum. and bored it out to fit the makita. then i welded a 1/2 in. alum. round to the side and bored and threded it for 5/16 fine thread. i took a 4 by 6 by 1/2 plate and notched the front in the mill to set the tube into allowing you to adjust center when bolted to the lathe. i use a speed reducer on the makita so not to overspeed the grinding wheels. i usr a 2in. or 3in wheel it work.s quite nice. looks strange but works. if it doesnt make sense ill see if i can take a picture.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I made one for my lathe rite on the lathe !! it was prety easy. and because it was made on the lathe it is EXACT on center!!. I do not know the size or measurements of your lathe BUt here is what I did , maby you can get it to work for you even if you have to adapt the hight some.
    I decided I wanted to go from 1/4" tools to 3/8" tools and that got me started. first off I got a piece of steel 1, 1/2" square and just tall enough to get set screws in above the tool with a good amount of thread. now drill a hole down through the centerthe proper size for your lock bolt to go through. then cut a plate to fit in the notches of the base , drill and tap it in the center for your lock bolt. this will sandwitch the base between the plate and the tool holder. you will have a 1,1/2" square that you can bolt solid to the base now. now because I want to use 3/8" tools I put two 3/16" drill bits under the block put one side square to the chuck and lock it down. TIGHT. put If you want to use 1/4" tools then put 1/8 drill bits under the block. it must be exactly half.
    I put a 3/8" end mill into the chuck and used the cross feed to mill out the notch in a number of passes, turn bolck 1/4 turn and mill out another side , continue this till all 4 sides are done . if you want 1/4" tools then use 1/4" end mill. when you are done , remove the drill bits and the top of the notch will be EXACTLY on center of the end mill. and your chuck!! drill and tap a couple holes for set screws that will lock down your tools , now you have a 4 way quick change holder that will do 99% of all your work..
    it is a great project, easy, fun, with the result being a good looking, VERY handy tool. if you like the idea nand have any questions feel free to ask I will do my best to clearify. Hb

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

OOPS grinder , not holder HAHAHAHAH hoiy that is a totaly differant animal AHAHAHAHAHAH crap..hahaha are you guys looking to do O.D. grinding on your lathe???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hahaha. Hey, but that tool post idea is a good one. One like that came with my lathe, but it has about 1" openings (slots). To use it with 1/4 inch bits I usually clamp a Armstong tool bit holder in it. I also made an adapter. But having a interchangable block that I could mount 4 bits in would be cool.

Ya, I would like to be able to do OD grinding to be able to get high precision with a nice finish. Been thinking about mounting a die grinder, but have been concerned about how much end play they have. I am also wondering why a guy couldnt mount a angle grinder.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I think you will find the angle grinder to be better idea , if you have to do a custom mount anyway. like you say the wheel should be more stable. I think you could find better wheels . a MUCH stronger more stable spindel to mount the wheel on. heck one of those router variable speed units would even work on a grinder , it would work great. now you have me thinking ahahahah.. we have MANY OD grinders ware I now work . some with wheels as big as 4 feet' across by 4 inch wide. we also have a bunch of centerless grinders ware the tool turns between two turning wheels. maby I can get a number from norton and find out if they have any wheels that will give a nice finish and fit your arbor. better than standard angle grinder wheels..

If you decide to make the tool holder I think you will realy like it!!! 4 in one , loosen bolt turn block tighten bolt all done all aligned!!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.