Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spot Welding Rails Question

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Spot Welding Rails Question

I posted this on another board but they don't seem to understand my question.

I have the lower modified tong installed and in order for the tips to touch, I had to bend the lower tong in an upward angle. With all the top adjustment the tips would not come together with the modified lower tong.

My question, when I insert the modified lower tong into the receiver it touches the other side. Do I need to bend the bent blank open slightly untill I finish the spot welds and then bend it back together.

I haven't actually welded any rails with it yet only tested on old receiver stubs and any part that touched the tong sparked, that's why I'm aksing about it touching.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Did you grind them like this?

Spot welder lower tong mods

Can you remove a little more material from the lower tong in the area that is touching?
    You could wrap the lower tong with electrical tape in that area.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

post some pics of what you are talking about.
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I don't have a digital camera but I bought the lower tong and it looks exactally like the one in the link above BUT I had to bend it upward in order to make contact with the upper tong. I didn't buy the harborfreight one I got one from Ebay and all the adjustment wouldn't allow the tongs to come together with the straight lower tong so I had to bend it. That's why it touches. If electrical tape will work then I'll just wrap the lower tong with that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

when I have that problem I just stick an old credit card or some other thick piece of plastic on the back side , you def dont want any contact other than the contact tips

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Well I tried some test welds last night and couldn't get any to take, I tried long counts, multiple hits and nothing held, The metal would glow hot orange and smoke and both side were VERY hot but they didn't stick together. I am testing on old receiver stubs they have been blued so does that make a difference. I was holding the two stubs together with plyers.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Are you getting good tight contact between the tips?
    It should feel sort of like a pair of visegrips that are set to tight.
    In other words, the lever should not go over center.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

No I'm simply getting contact which required me to bent the modified bottom tong in an upward arch just to make contact. I can't even imagine what it would take to get a tight grip between the tongs. If I have to bend the modified tong much more up toward the upper tong if won't go into the receiver, maybe I can bend the upper downward?

I have used all the adjustment the unit has for the upper, this is the unit I bought, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4448156257

I should have bought the Harborfreight, this unit doesn't have much adjustment downward for the upper tong and by replacing with the straight modified tong it doesn't even come close to making simple contact.

Is there a way I could put an extension on the screw in tip to make it longer for just the upper?

Edit: maybe this item; http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91690
    Oh and I called this item is backordered until August.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I would say go ahead and extend the upper tong tip as necessary to get a firm clamping action.
    It needs to be tight to fuse the two pieces together and to ensure good contact.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

do you have an adjustment screw on the rear of the device to make the tongs go up and down at different angles?
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.