Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OK Here it is

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thumbs up Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by red_metallic
    Start on your local craigslist in the Tool for sale section & buy used. You would be amazed what shows up cheaply there. Get a cross-slide table from the Chinese and you've got a good start on light milling tasks.
    I forget that Craigs list is out there. No sooner than you posted this my brother called me because he was going to look at a motorcycle he saw on craigs list.

Thanks again for the info.

Dave
    Question all as to their ways....
    Learn the secrets that they hold....
    Lead so others may follow. This is the way of our forefathers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The cross slide vise is the way to go. I use one I got at HF on a table top drill press. It was hard to fit at first, then I turned it at 45 deg. and it works fine. I have completed a 1919a4 build & a CZ24 tube build, working on a Romanin RPK now. It doesn't have the speed range I would like, but for about $70 who could argue.

Feedback Score

i would say auto swap meets if your going to invest in tools in my opinion older stuff is more sturdy and rarely is worn out beyond repair i have 3 drill press's 1 old buffalo (work horse), 1 older craftsman, and a benchtop i forget the make. my pride and joy is my ancient van norman # 0 milling machine very rare from 1898 i was told... hard to find collets for but the stuff is out there my entire machine shop is made up of older machines 6 lathes 1 atlas shaper 1 precision grinder i had a new grizzly precision drill press i gave away cause in my opinion was junk but i forgot about craigs list too i'm gonna go there after here! my .02 cents good luck with what ever you get

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

A man who knows how to do the job with bare mininum tools is in better shape than the man who has all the latest tools, but can barely drill a hole in the right place twice.

A good drill press with a cross slide will do most everything you need in this AK building hobby.........for now!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM
    A man who knows how to do the job with bare mininum tools is in better shape than the man who has all the latest tools, but can barely drill a hole in the right place twice.
    Truer words have never been spoken............

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jessejames88
    i would say auto swap meets if your going to invest in tools in my opinion older stuff is more sturdy and rarely is worn out beyond repair i have 3 drill press's 1 old buffalo (work horse), 1 older craftsman, and a benchtop i forget the make. my pride and joy is my ancient van norman # 0 milling machine very rare from 1898 i was told... hard to find collets for but the stuff is out there my entire machine shop is made up of older machines 6 lathes 1 atlas shaper 1 precision grinder i had a new grizzly precision drill press i gave away cause in my opinion was junk but i forgot about craigs list too i'm gonna go there after here! my .02 cents good luck with what ever you get
    WHAT and WHERE is CRAIG"S LIST?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jessejames88
    WHAT and WHERE is CRAIGS LIST?

Feedback Score

Here is Houstons.
    http://houston.craigslist.org/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've heard good things about doing light milling tasks in a decent drill press. This is supposed to be a very good video on the subject, at Technical Video Rental. It is sorta like Netflix for How-To videos...$9.95 and they pay postage both ways too...great deal as opposed to buying these types of videos.

http://technicalvideorental.com/inde...products_id=90

They also have a good selection of Gunsmithing and firearms build video too. http://technicalvideorental.com/inde...x&cPath=113_75

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wow! I've found two new sites in ONE thread. Checked them both out, really impressed by the vidio rentals, guess I'm going to have to jump into the twentyfirst century and buy a DVD player!
    -thanks- Jim and Rocster
    poppop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.